Horror Movie Thread

the_b1ues

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone seen The Orphanage?

Spanish kind of psycological horror. Got Del Torro's name on it some way too, although I suspect that's more of a marketing thing. Creepy as hell.

Scariest thing I ever saw as a kid was the episode of the X-Files where there was a doll that could look at people and kill them. Think Chucky meets Scanners.

Dawn of the Dead, newer version lol, i don't know why but i just like it a lot.

I too love this film. Saw it at the cinema and was blown away by the start of the film. My other half bought the DVD before I could get it and he's waiting for the Blu-Ray to be released here in the UK, but I think he'll end up getting an import copy as he's getting a bit impatient now for it !

Anyone seen The Orphanage?

Spanish kind of psycological horror. Got Del Torro's name on it some way too, although I suspect that's more of a marketing thing. Creepy as hell.

I liked it a lot, it was a bit different. Also Pan's Labyrinth was, well not really scary but a good flick anyways.

Nice variation from the stuff coming out from Hollywood :)

Bad character development is bad.

I enjoyed the film for the action. I walked in with low expectations, so it was pretty good for what I expected. I agree the character development in the remake of Dawn Of The Dead was absolutely horrible, as was much of the acting, but I still enjoyed it and thought it a pretty good zombie flick given today's standard of horror, even if it's not a Silent Hill or 30 Days Of Night.

I have to tell everyone though, avoid "CHILL"!!! I watched it with my fiance, grabbed it from the Red Box rental kiosk thing at the grocery store and I wanted my $1.00 back. It's based on an H.P. Lovecraft story (Cool Air) and completely butchered it. I'm sorry but if you're doing a film on a Lovecraft story and adding your own story to it, the LEAST you can do is write in a Lovecraftian manner!

Bad character development is bad.

I didn't think that the character development was bad. If I had to launch a criticism at the film, it would be that it was too short. It could have done with another half an hour to it, which could have been used (possibly) towards character development or towards more action.

Gotta love the famous people shooting game from the rooftop though :D Good laugh, lol

• 5 weeks later...
My favorite is John Carpenter's the Thing. I haven't seen a film so scary, so bleak and so isolating that I want to watch it again as soon as I'm finished.

http://www.bamkapow.com/g-i-joe-stop-motion-re-enacting-carpenter-s-the-thing--1644-p.html

It's a short stop motion music video this band did as an homage to the film. It's amazing.

I think I just nerdgasmed. :D

But I'm getting sidetracked now, I actually came here to ask for recommendations. Anyone know a good horror movie with plenty of gore, a good storyline, and hopefully some good scares in it too? It's been ages since I watched a decent horror film, I'm beginning to suffer from withdrawal symptoms... I like classic horror, zombie flicks, even Japanese horror, just don't try to push a shitty Hollywood remake at me lol.

Edited by Violet Grim

And I have to admit, some greats in here, some not so great, some I've never heard of.

But before I go on...

Shaun of the Dead

Great film? But not in horror :)

I'm a sucker for cheezy 80's horror flicks myself. I couldn't even begin to list all the ones I liked or were just so awful they were good.

I was hoping to see loads of this in here. Maybe we should make a new thread for Horror 80's/B Movies.

Some are so bad there good.

I'll boost The Gillman back up again because he said one that sucks so bad but I love so much, Killer Klowns from Outer Space. It's on the marketplace too I believe? But I've still got my VHS in the other room :)

I am also a fan of the ones that are so terrible they are awesome, like Scarecrow Gone Wild, Skinned Deep, and Santa's Slay...to name a few.

Never seen any of these :)

One that I saw for the first time today but was, according to my brother, a big thing "back then" is Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Now, I saw Revenge of the Killer Tomatoes (With an appearance from the young Clooney! haha) but that's the type of film I want. That, KKfOS, Troll! Troll was classic. Scared the poop outta me.

I'm a child born in the 90s with his heart in the 80s :(

Classic Crap ftw. Nothing modern scares me :confused:

I mean, I can appreciate horror, and I can appreciate film. But nothing actually makes me scared any more. Hasn't since I was like, 9. It's rubbish :(

ALTHOUGH, take that back, The McPherson Tape. It's a kind of Blair Witch film, and every version I've seen since the first time I saw it has had the spoof documentary thing running through out chopping up the tape, but the first time I saw it, it was a full, continuous showing of the tape. An American family, sat down to Thanksgiving, when Aliens attack.

To all you who're creeped out by the little girls, this has one, but she's more Poltergeist freaky than The Grudge freaky..

Admittedly, it isn't that great, but when the alien comes right up to the camera I still get a weird goosepimply shudder. Only film I can say that does that to me.

So any genuinely shit scary films, or any genuinely shit films please :)

Also,

Dead Silence

Devil's Rejects

Lost Boys

Interview with the Vampire

Meet the Feebles

Bad Taste

Black Sheep

Shaun of the Dead

Dog Soldiers

Evil Dead

The Ninth Gate

SAW I, III, IV & V (imho II sucked)

The Wicker Man (original)

The Shining (original)

Carrie

Gremlins

Child's Play and other Chucky movies

etc. etc.

I agree that all of these are great films, although I've not seen the original Wicker Man, wasn't too keen on The Ninth Gate, and didn't know there was a shining remake o_O

Ohhhh! And, final edit, that The Thing video (http://www.bamkapow.com/g-i-joe-stop-motion-re-enacting-carpenter-s-the-thing--1644-p.html) rocks. :)

Edited by ChrisDeston

These are some of my favourites and if you have not seen this movies, then what the hell are you waiting for?

The Exorcist

The Shining

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

The Thing

The Silence of the Lambs

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Psycho (1960)

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Saw

Signs

The Mist

The Others

The Descent

The Sixth Sense

I'm all about the Zombie flicks, I really hate all the hollywood horror crap that gets pumped out, but is really only enjoyed by the mildly retarded!

I think my rule with horror has to be if you can really enjoy it more than once, then it's a good horror film, and zombie flicks deliver on this!

Where do people stand on gore flicks? I think years of gaming have make me immune and bored around this sort of stuff - Hostel sucked for me because of this! If I want to get gored out I just watch BBC3's Bizarre ER, now that's some mucked up stuff!

These are some of my favourites and if you have not seen this movies, then what the hell are you waiting for?

The Exorcist

The Shining

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

The Thing

The Silence of the Lambs

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

Psycho (1960)

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Saw

Signs

The Mist

The Others

The Descent

The Sixth Sense

Seen all but The Others and The Mist.

Unfortunately, I really only like five movies off the list. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I still think the classics are still the best just watched Hellraiser recently that is some wierd shit in that film lol.

Horror flims are definately the best genre of films IMO. I'd list my favourites but there are so many :p

I'm more into zombie flicks though and especially George A Romero films, can't wait for his new...of the dead film and The Crazies remakes ;)

I dont have high hopes for his new of the dead films. Night of the living dead was a classic and Dawn of the dead is on of my fav films of all time. But after that they have slowly got worse and worse.