Brass Balls Achievement Strategy Guide

xLCDx

How many big daddies did yall kill while going through this? I've only killed 1 and I'm at Fort Frolic.

For the brass balls? (asuming for your previous comments ), you can kill none if you would like to, the final battle would be harder (its not like its hard, but some people had some trouble with it)... but that would be it, kill the number you consider properly to have a ok character... but brass balls only requires you to finish the game on hard without diying, it doesnt matter if you save/ harvest all LS or if you collect every diary.

Hey,

I am going through the game now and I think I may have screwed myself for this achievement. I don't ever remember actually instead I would just reload my last save as soon as I died (I followed the earlier people saying that you did not have to disable vita chambers just keep reloading saves because ythe loading times are much shorter). In fact, everytime I would die it would say "you are being revived in a vita chamber" which indicated to me that it was my first time in there. All of a sudden, I am in neptune bounty's end just about to fight wilkins and when I die I just revive ina chamber without the message. Is this me just being paranoid or does the message no longer appearing indicate that the game thinks i have died at least once and my brass balls run through is screwed? I hope not...

Well i dont think you are screwed, i didnt got that message every time i died, it skips it some times at least in my exp... so if you are POSITIVE that you have reloaded every time you died, you should have no problems, dont worry about getting that message or not, if you die some more times and you havent died you would probably see the message on later deaths.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just curious, i'm about to undertake the brass balls challenge and was wondering if anyone who did it or is currenently doing it has bothered with researching anything. I know that doing it gets u tonics and stuff but is it necessary. Also on a scale of 1-10 how hard is this achievment (10 being the hardest) and how long does it take. I've already got 1000GS on this so i'm keen to finish it off.

EDIT:

Right, i've been playing for a short while now and decided to keep vita chambers on and just reload after they spawn me due to loading times. I haven't died many times yet but i can tell that those loading times will piss me off later in the game. I hope to god that all the people here who have said that on/off doesn't matter are correct, cos if not, im gonna have to open up a can of whoop ass!!!!!

Hey,

I am going through the game now and I think I may have screwed myself for this achievement. I don't ever remember actually instead I would just reload my last save as soon as I died (I followed the earlier people saying that you did not have to disable vita chambers just keep reloading saves because ythe loading times are much shorter). In fact, everytime I would die it would say "you are being revived in a vita chamber" which indicated to me that it was my first time in there. All of a sudden, I am in neptune bounty's end just about to fight wilkins and when I die I just revive ina chamber without the message. Is this me just being paranoid or does the message no longer appearing indicate that the game thinks i have died at least once and my brass balls run through is screwed? I hope not...

This has been happening to me also, at about the exact same time, i think the game is just programmed to only say it a couple of times.

I have yet to play this game on hard (960/1000 atm) and when my neighbor was playing it seems like the beginning is harder than hell with a wrench against all of those splicers. Does it become any easier and how do you take down that first big daddy?

Thx

D0ctorNick

Weird, i'm working on this achievement atm and a few days ago when i started i had the 'disable vita-chambers' option still available. But today when I looked in the options menu it wasn't there anymore. Any sign that i'm screwed now or?

Edit: i saw the top post on this page so that's pretty much answered for me, ty.

I have yet to play this game on hard (960/1000 atm) and when my neighbor was playing it seems like the beginning is harder than hell with a wrench against all of those splicers. Does it become any easier and how do you take down that first big daddy?

Thx

D0ctorNick

It does get quite easy, until the last few levels. Im currently at the end part of olympos heights and my weapons do sweet fuck all against anything, despite using all the weapon upgrade stations for damage upgrades. (if anyones got any tips about that the please let me know). Also the first big daddy is all that tricky because its in an area where u can hack some turrets, that deal some damge and avert its attention away from u, allowing some good point blank shotgun shots straight to the face. Alot of people say that once u get past the medical pavillion the games is a doddle and that brass balls is really easy. It's not EASY, it's just hot half as hard as everyone expects it to be, because hard mode on this game is the equivalant of other games normal modes. Im hoping to finish this off tonight, and considering when i fought atlas on hard mode the first time round, i didnt die. So i dont expect to have any trouble there.

Weird, i'm working on this achievement atm and a few days ago when i started i had the 'disable vita-chambers' option still available. But today when I looked in the options menu it wasn't there anymore. Any sign that i'm screwed now or?

Edit: i saw the top post on this page so that's pretty much answered for me, ty.

Oh well to be honest, im not sure if you will get it, theres a guy that says he doesnt have that option anymore, and even though he didnt die, he didnt got the achievement, i dont know whats up with this problem, I can assure you that vita chambers on/off get you the achievement, but i dont know if there is another problem going on the game now, i got the achievement 2 days after the dlc came out and didnt had any trouble, but lately there have been lots of people saying they didnt got it.

Thank-fuck for that, stormed through the game pretty quick, given that i started it from the begining 23 hours ago (only about 12 or so of that was gameplay though). Anyway got the achievment, it can go allongside mile high club and platinum plus to make a hat trick of the three hardest achievments i've come across. That said i only found it hard cos i kept running out of amo, and the wrench does jack, just like most guns once u get to Hephaestus. Atlas was a bitch (still did it first go and had 2 med packs left) cos i only had 50 electric gel and 6 incendery bolts when i went in,desptie having full money before hand and emptying the vending machines and u-invent completely. Think i even used the pistol at one point, but i tended to grenade his ass the most. I got a bit worried at the end cut scene whilst i was praying that it would unlock. I used to think that the other achievments that u get at this point when u first go through the game came on sceen when the little sisters start jumping on atlas, although brass balls came up a little later and boy was i relieved. Anyway thats it for my monoluge here, good luck to all who still have to see this one through.

P.S: i had vita chambers on, i just reoaded in the event that i got killed to a previous save where i had not died. I also only saved around 5 little sisters, i saved them due to the fact that Tenebomb (or however u spell here name) gives u those gifts that have 200 adam in them. Due to this i think u may even get more adam overall if u dont kill any. The amount of rewards u get obviously depends upon how many u save, like i said i saved about 5, maybe 6 and got 2 rewards, each containing 200 adam amoung other things as well.

EDIT:

Also, like i said above eventually ur weapons start to jack against the enemy. Best way around this is to hypnotize all the big daddys u come across, when it wears off, do it again. Keep the daddy with u as long as u can. Not only will he distract enemy fire away from u, but he'll do most of the killing aswell (prolonging life and conserving amo). Another major advantage of this is that the splicers will slowly wear away its health, once its down to a sufficient level, leave the hypnotize to wear off, and then follow him to a little sister pipe then kill it. (Electric gel is best, after u upgrade consumption rate - it can't move). I never actually tried this, it only occured to me after i finished the game. I did use big daddys alot in the later parts of the game but never tried the above tactic for saving little sisters. Let me know if it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I posted this in another thread but just in case someone misses it, if the "Disable vita chambers" option is not available and you want it back (I didn't have it and didn't get the achievement) then do this.

1. Delete the DLC. (I also cleared the cache just in case)

2. Use another Xbox Live account to download the DLC again (A silver account can do this since the content is free).

3. Once the other account has finished downloading the DLC go back to your old profile and start up Bioshock and you should now have the Disable Vitachambers option.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys I posted this in another thread but just in case someone misses it, if the "Disable vita chambers" option is not available and you want it back (I didn't have it and didn't get the achievement) then do this.

1. Delete the DLC. (I also cleared the cache just in case)

2. Use another Xbox Live account to download the DLC again (A silver account can do this since the content is free).

3. Once the other account has finished downloading the DLC go back to your old profile and start up Bioshock and you should now have the Disable Vitachambers option.

mate.... thanks you... OH MY FKING GOD... finally some1 with intelligence!

ive looked through 3 threads, and 4 pages of this to find what u have just sed.... so many pople including myself have had probs with this, sum1 like u shud have posted at the start of this thread!!

anyway im off to do what ive been tring to find out how to do for ages, i want them turned off as my memory is crap... im also gonna leave my xbox on shud i not get the achievment tonight in one sitting, then the option of turning them on or off will not dissapear

THANKS MATYE!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple tips: I'm playing through and once I got to Point Prometheus I found myself stuck. I had about $50 cash and out of EVE and first aid and most ammo.

If you're desperate you can go back to Fort Frolic and gamble your last amount. It took me about 30 mins and I made enough to stock my FA and EVE , some ammo and win back about $400 on top of that to use later. It's tedious but if you are completely stuck as I was it's about the only option.

Also, if you have enough ammo (I just made some trap arrows at the U-invent), you can go back to Hephestus (sp?). There is a crawl-space on your way to the workshops. A big daddy will always spawn there. Set up your traps, and climb under the crawlspace. if he doesn't die, just stay under there. When he comes into view, shoot him with whatever else you have. You can go underneath the stairs and shoot through those as well.

This was a quick way to make $95-110.

Gutted. Just finished the game but no brass balls!!! had to play with vita-chambers on cus of the glitch. i am 100% certain that i loaded from a save everytime i died, which was about 10 times at the most. Very, very annoyed.

either i used a vita-chamber without thinking or something really messed up.

I'm going to start giving this a go today. I'm thinking a level a day should give me enough time to play other games, too.

Wish me luck! I kinda suck at games, so I'll need it.:p

Edit: When I had a look at the achievements I still needed, there was Avid Inventor, Tonic Collector, Historian and Seriously Good At This, but no Brass Balls? Is this the same for everyone or is there a glitch in my game? There's also no option to turn on Vita Chambers, but I can live without that.

Edited by Robbie B

brass balls is a secret achievement isnt it? so thats probaly why you cant see it

im on my run through the game now and after getting the big daddy plasmid, i was wondering if it was better harvesting the little sisters instead of saving them. anyone know which is the better option?

Just got this today. Brilliant help on Atlas by the way, don't know if I'd have beaten him as quickly as I did without it.

Few things (they've probably already been stated, but just to help):

1) Don't bother with the Big Daddies until you're stronger / have a better weapon. The first few destroyed me, but a few tonics and the grenade launcher helped loads. The Electric Buck for the shotgun works a treat against the Bouncers.

2) Spend your ADAM on health upgrades. Forget the hacking tonics and minor plasmids.

3) Don't bother hacking health stations. I just destroyed them all, and took the first aid kids from them as I went along.

4) Keep fully stocked on health packs and eve hypos. They're dirt cheap anyway, and money is never in short supply.

5) Use the wrench as much as possible. I probably killed 95% of splicers with it, using the SportBoost tonics (1 and 2 combined!) and the other wrench damage increase ones.

6) Research helps, especially with the Big Daddies. It may be a pain to take all the photos, but it's well worth it.

7) The camouflage tonic is superb, 'specially for hiding from security bots when the cameras spot you.

8) Abuse the save feature!

I really don't know if it matters that much. First play through I saved them all, second play through I harvested the ones I'd bothered to take on. You don't need that many tonics, just health upgrades, and you should get through this fine...

• 2 weeks later...
hey, im attempting this achievement, at the start of the game (first 10 min, cant remember if i died) i had the vitachambers on, i turned it off then and there, does it make a difference if i turned them off a little later and didnt die?

As long as you never "used" a Vita-Chamber - died and respawned at one - then you'll be fine. You don't even have to turn them off as long as you never use one, you'll get the achievement. The option to turn the off is just a safety, so that you don't forget and use one accidentally.

As long as you never "used" a Vita-Chamber - died and respawned at one - then you'll be fine. You don't even have to turn them off as long as you never use one, you'll get the achievement. The option to turn the off is just a safety, so that you don't forget and use one accidentally.

Ok, good! and for the leadhead question, take photos and use armor piercing rounds. Itll take em down pretty fast. But they are tough. Also try electrobolt/wrentch, then a few armor piercing pistol rounds :)