So been playing around in the arena at different difficulties and gather points and building different specs and keeping some records for myself. Thought might start a discussion of sorts in regards to builds and my thoughts on some of the skills. SO here goes...
Started playing Witcher 2 on Dark... so far good deal of fun in its challenge and its moments of OMG how did I die when nothing round me XD... Anyways...
Like I said been fooling in the arena getting the build points to throw around and see what there was that I could construct as far as what I am comfortable build wise on dark mode.
One build that I have comes from a few dark mode tips that some people have put out and just use in the arena and in some game play. The following is the rough build with some variant notes... Must have maxed skills are in Bold and Italics
Required to even get the build off the ground for the first few levels. Few things in here
- Vigor Regen
- This at level 2 provides some needed recharge for my powers but till the game gives me more trouble I hold off on the 2nd level of this ability
- One of those should have at least at the 1st level just to get access to the ability since the materials are not to difficult to obtain and fairly cheap to make. I make a few since they seem to have a minor interrupt ability (it seems to me) on some mobs so I keep some on hand
- Sadly have to go through this to get to others... most tips I have seen basically dissuaded trying to block in this game which makes sense in regards to the damage you get off the blocks
- Arrow Redirection
- I took this mostly for the bonus ability you can get down the road but you definitely need to have this at 2nd to really benefit from it since 1st just throws the arrow off kilter
- I took this at Max for the +1 Vigor and 10% Vigor regen during combat. Since the build will be using Quen sign a good deal being able to cast it and keep it up often and having it regen faster is a boon in Dark when being surrounded seems to occur when you least expect it from your blind sides.
My build focuses more in this tree then the others, reason being that despite my other skills I find myself doing hit and runs with my swords than trying to use magics beyond Quen and the occasional Aard or bombs and traps.
- An iffy ability for me to put into my build since avoiding damage is much more important than a standing fight thou getting a swordsman one on one may have uses in getting the achievement for some and then the bonus ability which could really be useful
- Avoidance, pure and simple gives me breathing room to let the strike fly by then to poke back at a target, part of me is torn on this since the 200% really gives some distance but occasionally I have not been able to properly charge back into the fray and deliver a strike that might have killed my already weakened target. The extra point not spent here to max might be useful elsewhere but either level has its uses.
- Vigor Combat Regen a definitely welcomed aspect in my game play... saves running circles to get it back and at 40% plus Max Fortitude = 50% in combat regen I max this skill for the bonus eventually...
- Damage Reduction is something that is nice to have I keep juggling in my head the need to max this out in Dark mode one of those abilities I have to get to move forward in my build but if I get an extra point I would put it here.
- Health... and required at that... I do not mind having health but since a good deal of my game play so far has been avoidance I will stay from maxing this
- I picked this up as a side thought (seems I already hit multiple opponents thou without) for a build variant thou I am uncertain if this is half damage based off weapon or 50% more damage... I am thinking the former with 50% of weapon damage
- Sudden Death
- I can not help but like this ability since having a full health opponent fall down dead in one hit is very nice even with the 2%/5% instant kill, I prefer to max this...
- Vitality and Damage Reduction another skill that has a variant build in my build where the 30% of this and the 40% (which should be stacked) to 70% damage reduction the extra health is nice as well...
- Combat Acumen
- I have to max this one since this is where my avoidance strikes pay off when I roll back into the fray and pop the finisher, the bonus damage reduction would potential put one at 90% dmg reduction... possible... unless there is some bug that does not see that 90% dmg reduction...
- Another one I max out since it has a good number of bonuses to add my to my character
I dip into this tree only to get access to Impregnation at Max to boost the Mutagens. I choose the Alchemist path over the Synthesis path since the bonus trap/bomb damage would come in hand if I need to toss out a bomb. Thou health was nice the Potion Specialization was not to my interests.
- As stated above the bonus does add to aoe effects of bombs I may have on hand though I rarely used traps I do carry some mostly for bottle necks areas...
- Side Effect
- Mutagens as a bonus from the little alchemy I occasional do... part of me is torn towards maxing this for the better bonus but only if I get an extra point here or there...
- Extra resources is great definitely one I have juggled between maxing or not...
- A required purchase.... rarely do I use Oils or remember I have them to use... if the fight last longer than my oil... I think I am doing something wrong...
- Boosting the bonuses from these little perks I think really helps my character out since I can custom little things...
Probably the least focused of the 4 branches I dipped into this originally for max Quen when I went back over after having a brain fart at level 32 in the arena. Alot of my thoughts in this tree is maxing but I can pretty much go with Max Quen and Vigor.
- Destructive Magic
- At max this provides +1 Vigor as well as +10 Sign Damage, I choose this over the other two since it provides a more general bonus to all the magic
- Enhanced Quen Sign
- Keeps the damage off you briefly but each hit decrease the timer amount so really need to not get to focused mixing up with the mobs, I use the ability as a shield from that random hit that finds me as I am dodging, I max this for the increased duration to keep it longer which would save on how often I am recasting it...
- Magical Vigor
- Bonus Vigor can not go wrong here between this and Destructive Magic I think they could go either way I prefer this over the other since I get more vigor for spells...
Depending on how I put the points into play I could have a good amount of vigor or some decent dmg reduction. Based on my play style so far I barely use things beyond Quen and swordplay. If you max the bold ones and put points in the named skills I get two points to play with as far as my variants needs.