Noobs Guide to BF3 Online

Matty079

Noobs Guide to BF3 Online

Hey All! Had a quick read through my old Noobs guide to BC online and thought hey, why not make one for BF3? This is a guide to the online aspects of the game. I will touch on weapons, vehicles, tactics, general tips etc.

*Work in Progress*

Please note: I do not think I am better than anyone at this game, I simply wish to share my knowledge and help people did like I did in BC.

Introduction to Battlefield 3 Multiplayer

The reason I find BF3 to be unlike any other MP FPS I've played recently is the way you can change how you play. Feel like running and gunning? You can. Want to sit back and spot enemies? Go for it. Want to throw C4 on a jeep and hunt down enemy tanks? Let me jump in with you.

Most of the maps in the game are very enjoyable, open battlefields. Unfortunately there are still a couple of smaller maps in the mix but they still offer more variety than say a COD map ever could! (I'm not a COD hater, I just hate the small maps)

With these larger, open maps comes different play styles as I mentioned before. You'd be suprised how congested certain parts of particular maps get, which makes it all the more fun when you flank them :p I don't understand why people don't flank more in this game, but I will touch on that again later.

Objectives

The three main gametypes you will play are TDM (Team Deathmatch), Rush and Conquest. If you're like me, you won't be touching TDM and sticking to Conquest and occasionally straying to Rush for variety.

TDM

Exactly as the name says, you kill until you run out of tickets. Nothing special about this mode, and I find this to be the least fun. Players have no goal to move towards which leads to camping and annoying circumstances.

Conquest

My personal favorite in BF3, which is strange seeing as all I played in BC/2 was Rush. In conquest, maps are divided into a number of checkpoints labelled A - D respectively. To capture these flags, get close enough to the flag so that the letter (A, B, C etc) appears just above the center of your screen and wait until it is captured. Yes, flags do get captured quicker with more team mates, from personal experience it seems as though if there are more than 3 people on a flag, additional team mates make no difference (feel free to correct me)

When these points are captured, you can spawn on them. If they are flashing, they are getting neutralized (captured). Above your mini map shows coloured squares that represent the conquest points. The first square represents A, second square B etc. Use this to quickly tell which point is being taken! The game is won when a teams tickets hit 0. This is caused by player deaths or bleeding tickets due to the enemy holding points on the map.

Rush

I believe Rush is how the game was made to be played. Playing Operation Metro in the beta and going from the first outdoors area to the underground trainline is just awesome. Just like basejumping in Davamand Peak etc, these make Rush stand out. I haven't spent nearly as much time in Rush as I have in conquest, but that is due to the lack of vehicles and the fact that unfortunately some maps are just shit in Rush. Grand Bizaare isn't my favorite map in the first place. Played the Rush version of it the other day, we only had two options of how to proceed and the enemy just sat there and picked us off the whole time, nothing we could do. Rush has such great potention, and this is just my opinion, but maybe if they opened the maps up a bit more instead of restricting us to having only one or two entrances when there is a whole team defending ...but anyway!

Classes

Assault

The Assault class is great. You get a powerful assault rifle (or unlocked weapon of choice), can drop health packs for you or team mates and you can even revive people! But as usual, you have no anti-armor abilities. On your mini map, if a team mate needs health, you will see a cross. If a team mate can be revived, you will see a lightning bolt. Unfortunately it can be hard to see when you have team mates with ammo, placed C4/mines etc the mini map can get very cluttered. Please remember to drop health packs! You can get a LOT of points by throwing them into groups of team mates who are dug in. Reviving is crucial. Not only does the death not count for your team or the player, but it gets you a nice 100 points too! (10 more for squad I believe)

Engineer

The best anti vehicle/vehicle support class in the game. The repair tool can repair and damage vehicles, you get your choice of rocket launcher too. You have 3 types of launcher. The first launcher is your RPG/IGLA which is great for tanks/light vehicles but has no lock-on capabilities. The next launcher is the Stinger, the anti aircraft launcher of the three. Simply hold the aircraft in the crosshairs until the square stops flashing and the tone is continuous and fire! The third launcher is the Javelin, which has the ability to target ground vehicles AND aircraft. Works in the same way that the stinger does, but In order to target aircraft you will need to have a team mate using SOFLAM, a scout chopper with the Nose Painter ability or a tank with the CITV station. If you know any other way please feel free to tell me!

Support

Probably my favorite class in BF3. You get an LMG, you get unlimited ammo and your choice of A/T mine, mortar or C4. Personally, you can't beat C4. So much fun can be had with C4, especially with jeeps. Remember, as the support role, you need to give out ammo! Everyone needs ammo. Support is arguably the least played class online, I find it very hard to find any in a game if I run out of ammo. So remember, watch your map for any teammates with the ammo icon on them, that means they need ammo, which will give you points! Also, if playing support, don't be afraid of spraying! One of my favorite things to do as Support is put a bipod on my LMG and just spray. Obviously in the general direction of an enemy, not just at a wall. It may sound stupid, but you don't have to conserve ammo, you create suppressive fire (your screen goes blurry and it's harder to see) and it sounds damn awesome. Most of the time you get suppression points too.

Recon

Nothing annoys me more than seeing people playing as Recon on the frontlines. BF3 is not a game for quickscoping, it is a team game. Recon is more of a support class, depending on what equipment you use you can be very beneficial to the team. The sensors alone can help defend areas and prevent enemies sneaking in, the soflam can lase targets and allow Javelins to lock onto aircraft or the MAV, a mini chopper that can fly around the battlefield and spot enemies. So basically, if you're recon, SPOT. I've used the MAV a bit, all you have to do is hover up high, keep pressing back and spot everyone you can. You'd be suprised how focused your teams fire becomes when they can see little red dots infront of them.

Edited by Matty079

Vehicles

I find vehicles to be the best thing about BF. It mixes up the action and makes it an all round better experience. I generally aim to take out vehicles, because it helps the team greatly, gets you heaps of points and is just plain fun. Here I will go through the main vehicles and give any tips I have, things to look out for etc.

MBT(Main Battle Tank) T-90/ M1

I have had countless games with 0 deaths thanks to tanks. The main cannon is very powerful. It can take out jeeps and scout helicopters with 1 hit, and only takes 2-3 on other tanks/ heavier vehicles. The cannon can take out infanty in one hit if close enough, but sometimes it's better to swap to a coaxial LMG/HMG (i prefer the LMG as it fires faster and allows for easier kills IMO) The gunner seat in a tank can be a huge help, it takes care of infantry very quickly and has full 360degree rotation. Generally it is best if the gunner covers the rear flank and takes out infantry while the driver looks out for armor. Also, A/T mines are easier to spot as a gunner. The third seat in a tank is the final unlock for MBT's. It is the CITY station which is a sidemounted seat that allows a third passenger to lock onto aircraft which allows the tank to shoot guided missiles at aircraft and fellow team mates to use Javelins as I mentioned above. When in a tank please be wary of your sides and rear! These are the weakest points in the tank. I've been taken out one hit by an enemy tank in the rear before!

IFV (Infantry Fighting Vehicle) LAV/BMP

I don't use IFV much, but they can be a pain. They can be just as hard as tanks to kill, can move quicker and are made to take out infantry. A MBT will make quick work of an IFV, so I reccomend staying away from heavy armor and using IFV's as more of a transport vehicle with light offensive capabilities.

Scout Choppers - Z-11/ Littlebird

I find these to be the most fun vehicles in the game. Flying was incredibly hard to learn at first, until I changed the controls in the menu to Legend I believe, which fixed all my problems. Scout choppers are incredibly powerful if used correctly. They can be used to transport troops quickly into battle and possess a very powerful array of weapons. The dual mini guns on the front of the chopper make quick work of infantry and light vehicles. They also do respectable damage to heavy armor! Below your crosshair should be a rough outline of a square. Most of the time it's there for me, but every now and then I can only see my crosshair. Your miniguns will fire into the middle of that square, if you can't see it it's generally a bit below the main crosshair but changes depending on your speed etc. The nose painter is the final unlock for scout choppers, it locks onto vehicles and allows for a vertical strike if fired upon by a guided missile/javelin, giving it bonus damage!

Attack Choppers - Havoc/Viper

Not as fun as their lighter, more nimble scout cousins but a very deadly aircraft if used correctly. Comes standard with rocket pods that can easily take out vehicles such as jeeps, IFV's, tanks etc. You also unlock heat-seekers that lock onto other choppers and even jets! Be careful when flying an Attack chopper if you've been using a Scout chopper recently! The weight difference is substantial and you can really feel it when flying. The escapes I pull off in the scout choppers are alot harder in the attack chopper so be careful when flying!

Transport Choppers - Kasatka and Venom

Why these choppers are wasted I do not know. For one they take 2 stinger hits to disable, 3 to kill. That's IF there's no one repairing it. It has mini guns either side for passengers to wreak havoc on other aircraft or ground forces too. One thing to remember when flying a transport chopper and you have two gunners, keep the heli level. I use the Legacy stick layout for flying and if I have gunners shooting at enemies, I leave the roll alone or it makes it too hard for my team mates to aim. Steady, slow swoops are key here, keeping an eye out for RPGs and any tanks.

Jets - Flanker/ Super Hornet

I love jets in this game. They're fast, very powerful and take skill to master. The machinegun you start with is arguably the best way to take down enemy jets. It is all about leading your shot and not wasting bullets. When I take off in a jet I either stay low or circle behind the environment. It is important that you do not shoot at enemy jets unless they know exactly where you are. It is very easy to flank an enemy jet when they are watching everything else that's going on. Once you get behind an enemy jet only shoot when you get a clear shot, it is crucial that you make this first burst of bullets count because as soon as you shoot, they will know you're behind them and try evade you, making it a lot harder to kill them! When it turns into an all out dogfight there aren't many tips I can give. I always shoot in cockpit view and change to 3rd person when looking for enemy aircraft or chasing/evading. If an enemy is trying to evade you, take your time and dont forget to brake! Slowing down behind your enemy is great for keeping up with them and matching their turns. Try not to overheat your machinegun, fire in small bursts unless you are certain the bullets will hit. There's nothing worse when an enemy pulls straight up infront of you giving you a perfect shot and your cannon can't fire because it's cooling down.

Rush Jets - Frogfoot and A-10

These are Ground Attack Jets. Slower, heavier, but more powerful. As the name suggests, these jets are for bringing the rain on the ground troops. Due to the bulky nature of these aircraft, dogfights are generally slower and easier to hit the target. This also means you're an easier target to the enemy to so be careful. Flying up high and swooping down and killing enemies would be the most successful way in taking out ground troops. Try to avoid flying these planes low to the ground, as the already poor manoeuverability definitely wont help avoiding radio towers or any terrain in your way.

Air Defense

The most frustrating part of flying an aircraft is getting locked on. It could be a well placed SOFLAM, a tank with CITV, a jet, a chopper or just an enemy with a stinger. You unlock flares fairly quickly in all aircraft so don't stress. Fortunately for an anti-vehicle player like me, there are too many people flying around not knowing how to use flares properly. Depending on what vehicle you are in, getting locked on can mean a couple of things. If you are in a Jet chasing another Jet you need to weigh up the options. If you know the other jet is up but can't see it, could it be behind you? If so, bail. If the heatseekers miss, he will swap to his cannon and probably cut you in two. Ok you know the other jet just crashed, so it cant be him, so it will probably be either a chopper or a stinger. How good is the pilot you are chasing? If you are having a lot of trouble keeping up with your target or keeping him/her in your sights, it could be a wise idea to back off. One of the easiest ways to find enemy airacraft is to watch your team's aircraft. Generally, jets chase jets. If you have another jet up, keep an eye on it. If they get chased, go and shoot down the jet chasing them. A jet that's following a jet is a pretty easy target, which is why you have to weigh up your options when taking on other jets etc. Remember that flares can only be used once every 10 or so seconds (not sure on the exact time), so only let them off when a missile is incoming (high pitched, fast beep after a solid tone means you have been locked and the missile has been fired) Too many people use their flares straight away, leaving the enemy to just re-acquire you as a target and fire off a shot. The best way to avoid missiles in choppers is to fly behind cover or stay far enough away that the flares will recharge before you get hit. For jets, the same technique applies, only use them once the missile has been shot. In jets, you can also lose locked missiles if you can fly well enough. Performing a hard turn at the perfect moment is what's required, but with no way to look behind you it all comes down to luck!

Alternatively the extinguisher is something I've been experimenting with recently. It is more useful than flares as it can repair a disabled jet/chopper, but you have to get hit, in order to use the extinguisher, which takes you just above 50% which means one more hit and you're back being disabled!

The Rest

There's no point having sections specifically for boats/jeeps etc so I thought I'd do a quick sum-up here. First off, humvees and the like are transport vehicles, they get you from Point A to Point B quickly and protected against small arms fire, but one hit from a tank will generally destroy it if not disable it. Remember to pick up team mates and don't do anything to give the enemy team a multikill! Boats I enjoy using with a couple of team mates and just flanking certain points on the map. Boats can't take much damage and don't offer much protection so it is best to use them for transport and not a full assult vehicle. Finally, jeeps. The most enjoyable way to take out enemy armor. Get some C4, throw 4-5 on a jeep, drive towards enemy vehicles, jump out and press the detonator. Commonly referred to as Jihad Jeep. I personally have some problems with the C4 staying on my jeep. Sometimes the C4 disappears, sometimes I press the detonator and it shoots out C4...I've found that the best way to do it is throw the C4 somewhere you can see it so you know if it's gone or not. Oh and obviously driving head on towards enemy armor while trying this is suicide, if the C4 gets shot you go boom so be VERY careful. I find it works best if I take really out of the way routes to objectives. Generally circling round so that you're coming behind enemy tanks works the best.

Edited by Matty079

Vehicles Continued

One vehicle you may not of used is the Tunguska mobile AA. As far as I know, and I've only used it a handful of times, it is only available on Canals for the defenders. This vehicle has two high powered cannons that make short work of aircraft, remember to lead your enemies if they're moving quickly! Heat seekers are your second unlock too, making this a very effective AA method.

Also on canals, and possibly on other maps I can't recall seeing it...the Amtra which i'm going to assume is short for amphibious transport (vehicle)? is a heavily armored transport vehicle capable of travelling in water and on land. It's only defense is an MG but this troop carrier can take rocket after rocket, taking more than a tank to destroy, while keeping it's occupants safe. A very good rush/pushing vehicle.

General Tips

- Press the back button to spot. If the enemy gets killed, you get spot points.

- Aim at the rear of tanks if not the side. It is also possible to take out tanks in one hit if the rocket hits their underside (very hard to do)

- Depending on if you get there first or not, you can get up to 450 points for neutralising and capturing a flag.

- The support ammo box not only restocks ammo, but also allows you to restock on rocket and C4 etc.

- A javelin will destroy a Jet or Chopper 1 hit, so make use of that SOFLAM recon!

- When you die, any C4 you have planted disappears.

- When you die, any A/T mines you have placed remain.

- When using the scout helicopter, try spotting as you fly around, red dots will pop up everywhere.

- A team mate in the side seat of a scout helicopter can use the repair tool to repair the chopper mid flight (don't get any repair points, must be looking at wing)

- When you get revived you must press A to accept the revive and get up, otherwise you will lay there and get killed, again.

- In game modes with Friendly Fire Off (non-hardcore Conquest, Rush, TDM) you can place C4 on team mates vehicles and blow up enemies without damaging the vehicle.

- If you are having trouble keeping your eyes on an enemy ( a distant sniper, someone hiding in a bush, low flying jet etc, try spotting them. The red dot above them shows where they are even through terrain!

- When sniping, take into account bulletdrop and movement.

- Don't forget about scope glare when sniping. It is very easy to spot, so make sure you shoot and move.

- RPG's, stingers, javelins, heat seekers, guided missiles etc all leave smoke trails, try to shoot and relocate to keep the enemy guessing.

- On some maps (Canals and Firestorm for eg) there are big explosive cylinders, these create massive explosions that can be used as distractions, cover or even used to kill enemies!

- After locking on to a vehicle with the javelin, it is possible to quickly look up and fire so that the rocket hits the vehicle at a higher angle. While it doesn't always work, it's a good way to fire around obstacles (if you can get the lock) and when it does work, you get the bonus damage.

- Team C4 and A/T mines appear as little white circles on the mini map, use this to distinguish between enemy and team mate explosives. You can also use the mini map to help destroy vehicles with C4 by being able to see exactly where the C4 is without direct line of sight, which is also true for enemy vehicles if they've been spotted! (red tank/jeep icon on map)

- A stinger with no ammo can still lock on, and the pilot doesn't know you're out of ammo! Use this to your advantage.

- When you do damage to an enemy, be it infantry, vehicle or equipment, your crosshair will show a little damage indicator, 4 little white lines at 45degree angles inbetween your crosshair (correct me if I'm wrong on that) Use this to tell if you're tank rounds are hitting their mark, if you're rockets hit their target, if your sniper round hit the enemy etc. Also works the other way, if you don't see any damage indicators, such as when shooting a helicopter with an assault rifle, it's not doing any damage!

- Bipods on LMG's almost completely remove recoil. It is possible to achieve the same accuracy as assault rifles with an LMG on a bipod firing full auto. This is a great way to provide covering fire which can help the team immensely!

- Remember when you shoot a weapon you show up on the map to the enemy team! Suppressors stop you showing up on the map at the cost of long range power, but it can be worth it to sneak around enemies.

- If you are behind an enemy hold RB to perform a knife kill. Tapping RB slashes with the knife, whle holding RB (not behind en enemy) slashes with the knife but leaves it in your hand.

- Vehicles repair themselves when they are above 50%. Below 50%, they are classified as disabled. Disabling a vehicle gets you 100 points, and means the vehicle will continue to take damage until it reaches close enough to 0 that it explodes, killing anyone inside or near. Unless of course, someone has a repair tool handy.

- Work with your squad. You get squad bonuses such as your squad spawning on you, extra points for resupplies, heals, revives, repairs, everything.

- If you press Back over a flags letter on you hud, it orders your team to attack this point. Anyone that does, receives the follow attack order worth 20 points. I am unsure, but assume this would work in a similar way in Rush mode.

- When you are killed by an enemy, you can use the screen afterwards to see where the enemy is and where the enemy is going. Use this to your advantage when you spawn. Likewise if you kill an enemy and plan on flanking a particular area, maybe advance slowly in one direction for several seconds and then proceed with your flank. This cam is also good if you wish to taunt your opponent, if you're into that kind of thing :p

- Some vehicles have a boost function activated by clicking the left thumbstick, this generally increases speed but decreases manoeuvrability. Included vehicles are MBTs, Jeeps and Jets. Am I missing any?

- Try and attack with your team mates. If you go in one at a time the enemy will have no trouble holding you off.

- Try throwing frags behind groups of enemies. In enclosed areas seeing the red frag warning makes everyone run and it's generally away from the enemy infront of them ;)

- A/T mines are stupidly easy to use, simply place them on a road where you think an enemy will go and you're done, just wait for the points!

- Cover your team mates! Battlefield is not about kills, it is about team work. Too many times half my team is in one location, all facing the same way. Whenever I can I cover my team mates, I watch their backs, I perform flanks, I get numerous savior medals from this alone. It's easy guys, watch your backs and watch your flanks.

- Don't get too cocky with a machine gun. Be it a turret, a vehicle mounted MG or a personal LMG. These guns are loud and draw attention. Be very wary of snipers when firing out in the open.

- If playing as Assault, don't go near enemy armor. Simply mark it for the rest of your team and focus on the infantry.

- If it's Operation Metro, please don't go Engineer, go something to benefit the team.

- Keep an eye out for downed team mates when you are Assault. Revives net you heaps of points, keep your tickets up and just generally makes players happy! Who doesn't like getting revived?

- Remember, this is not Bad Company. While destruction is still in the game, it is not to the extent that it was in BC2.

- The main cannon on an MBT has decent splash damage. If an enemy if hiding just out of sight, try shooting the ground next where they would be and look for the damage indicators on your crosshair, if it hits, keep shooting.

- A skilled enough marksman can pick drivers out of vehicles. Attack and Scout choppers, Jets, Jeeps etc all leave you open to a perfect headshot (or enough body damage). Scout choppers are more dangerous for this I have found due to the position of the pilot.

- Stingers can kill scout/transport chopper passengers. Even if the chopper has an engineer repairing it as it flies, a rocket hitting the side of the chopper can and will kill occupants that are exposed.

- Always hop into a vehicle with your primary weapon/pistol out. This stops you fumbling around changing weapons if you jump out and an enemy is right infront of you. Alternatively, if flying solo, I generally get my repair tool out if flying a chopper for quick emergency repairs if need be.

- A funny thing people don't realise. If you go prone, your body/legs can be seen through walls. If you back into a corner, your legs have to go somewhere, and that's generally through the wall and into the face of a laughing enemy. I've killed many people by shooting their feet on maps like Op Metro and Bizarre.

I will continue adding more as it comes to me. Feel free to contribute and i'll add anything in. I hope you all learn a thing or two and I'll see you on the Battlefield!

Edited by Matty079

Engineers are still useful on Operation Metro they do have an EOD Bot which can arm and disarm objectives. There is also the rpg/AT mine combo Ive seen many recklessly jog up to a station and eat a bunch of mines when I shoot at them my rpg. Also that hit indicator your talking about it. Its called by most a hit marker but hit marker, hit indicator same thing. I just skimmed through the tips and thats it

Cheers guys. Support/Engineer muddle up is fixed. Never use claymores or A/T mines so my bad!

I guess in a Rush match Engineer would be beneficial IF they used the EOD bot the way it was supposed to be used, but I can safely say I've never seen anyone on Op Metro use an EOD bot. It's just rocket spam haha

Good idea on the mines too

Engineers are still useful on Operation Metro they do have an EOD Bot which can arm and disarm objectives. There is also the rpg/AT mine combo Ive seen many recklessly jog up to a station and eat a bunch of mines when I shoot at them my rpg. Also that hit indicator your talking about it. Its called by most a hit marker but hit marker, hit indicator same thing. I just skimmed through the tips and thats it

I'm not going to argue the usefulness of the EOD Bot, but seriously what is the trick to controlling the damn thing? Whenever I try to use it I find the controls too sensitive and then I lose control of it and it drives all willy-nilly all over the place.

"Engineer

The best anti vehicle/vehicle support class in the game. The repair tool can repair and damage vehicles, you get your choice of rocket launcher too. You have 3 types of launcher. The first launcher is your RPG/IGLA which is great for tanks/light vehicles but has no lock-on capabilities. The next launcher is the Stinger, the anti aircraft launcher of the three. Simply hold the aircraft in the crosshairs until the square stops flashing and the tone is continuous and fire! The third launcher is the Javelin, which has the ability to target ground vehicles AND aircraft. Works in the same way that the stinger does, but In order to target aircraft you will need to have a team mate using SOFLAM, a scout chopper with the Nose Painter ability or a tank with the CITV station. If you know any other way please feel free to tell me!"

Small mistake. U unlock the RPG and the SMAW not the RPG/IGLA. When u unlock the stinger u unlock the IGLA :)

Also u forgot about the 9K22 TUNGUSKA-M which is on Canals on Rush for the Defenders

http://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com/public/profile/bf3/stats/items_147x88/tunguska.png?v=1628729

Also what about the AAV-7A1 AMTRA. Which is no doubt the best vehicle for rush. U drive it into the m-coms and everyone on ur team can spawn there :)

Edited by pX I Atticus

"Engineer

The best anti vehicle/vehicle support class in the game. The repair tool can repair and damage vehicles, you get your choice of rocket launcher too. You have 3 types of launcher. The first launcher is your RPG/IGLA which is great for tanks/light vehicles but has no lock-on capabilities. The next launcher is the Stinger, the anti aircraft launcher of the three. Simply hold the aircraft in the crosshairs until the square stops flashing and the tone is continuous and fire! The third launcher is the Javelin, which has the ability to target ground vehicles AND aircraft. Works in the same way that the stinger does, but In order to target aircraft you will need to have a team mate using SOFLAM, a scout chopper with the Nose Painter ability or a tank with the CITV station. If you know any other way please feel free to tell me!"

Small mistake. U unlock the RPG and the SMAW not the RPG/IGLA. When u unlock the stinger u unlock the IGLA :)

I'm a big fan of the laser designating feature, but I'm a bit disappointed with the extremely short range that the feature can be used in. It's very useful against Choppers and Armor on maps like Nosharh Canals, but not so much on maps like Operation Firestorm and Caspian Border.

Funny how you can spend all day playing a game and still get little details muddled up. Will be fixed soon, thanks for the help! I didn't plan on covering all vehicles but I guess I might as well, those will be added soon.

CGPSaint - I know exactly how you feel, I cant seem to keep the thing going in a damn straight line and when I do I go to make a slight adjustment and spin it out!

Noob's guide to vehicles: At the start of a match, simply GTFO. Why do people who can't fly/drive insist on taking the pilot's seat? My friend and I used to place wagers on how soon someone would crash, and estimates are usually in the order of 4-8 seconds, which turns out to be quite accurate.

Tanks are great for going on the offensive. I've gone 35-1 on Seine Crossing before, without losing the tank, and scooping up a tonne of points and MVP (my gunner gained MVP2). What tanks aren't very useful for, is camping your own base (why do they camp their base in conquest?), hiding behind rocks or trying to take on an AA role. And yes, I've also seen people lose tanks very fast as well, and it's almost like some people actively try to drive into the closest mine they can find.

Noob's guide to vehicles: At the start of a match, simply GTFO. Why do people who can't fly/drive insist on taking the pilot's seat? My friend and I used to place wagers on how soon someone would crash, and estimates are usually in the order of 4-8 seconds, which turns out to be quite accurate.

With all due respect, how would a noob ever get to learn to fly or drive if they are to leave the vehicles alone?

We all have to start somewhere!

With all due respect, how would a noob ever get to learn to fly or drive if they are to leave the vehicles alone?

We all have to start somewhere!

During any time of the match that's not the start, when use of vehicles isn't so critical. Usually you'll see vehicles standing idle in the base since everyone else is spawning where all the action is; that is the best time for a noob to try those vehicles. Crashing a chopper with 4 passengers on board is not a fantastic way to start a match.

I've even seen one guy lose a chopper during the match countdown. How the fuck...

During any time of the match that's not the start, when use of vehicles isn't so critical. Usually you'll see vehicles standing idle in the base since everyone else is spawning where all the action is; that is the best time for a noob to try those vehicles. Crashing a chopper with 4 passengers on board is not a fantastic way to start a match.

I've even seen one guy lose a chopper during the match countdown. How the fuck...

To be honest...I've managed to spin the scout chopper off the carrier on canals before the game even started. I just held the right stick and the chopper dropped off the edge and 4 of us started in the water. I couldn't stop laughing :D

Loving this thread, so i thought I'd throw some tips into the ring too:

*If you are the squad leader, (notable by the star next to your name) use spot(back button) to target objectives (mcoms in rush, flags in conquest) not only do you get 20 points everytime someone from your squad kills an enemy/destroys a vehicle/arms/disarms/captures around this point, they get bonuses too! who doesnt love free score?

*If you are attacking on rush, dont spawn with a sniper rifle, for the love of god, in a match where one team has infinite respawns, and the other doesnt, you are always gonna lose that game, and I for one am sick to death of spawning on Damavand Peak with my squad and realising the other 8 guys are all snipers. its usually a loss, but we still come top of the team for score, cos we actually do something.

*Recon =/= sniper, i'm not saying with the above point not to use recon as an attacker, a few well placed radio beacons can win a rush match, but please, please, spawn with a PDW or shotgun!!!

*Ok, whilst I expect I'm gonna catch some flak for this one (the comment as much as the bad pun), If you cant fly/gun in a chopper, stay the hell out of it, and even if you are a decent gunner, for jebus sake, dont jump in the gun seat of a guy who you are not on voice com with, (talking about the two man attack choppers here). Me and my buddy practised like crazy on co-op mission 2, and now we are pretty good in that chopper, but we rely on being able to talk to each other, co-ordinating flare drops, spotting stinger wielding engineers (its easy, watch the con-trail of the rocket) etc. A two man team working together in an attack chopper can rule a game so easily, but this will not happen if you cannot communicate with the other guy, also, as a pilot, its fucking offensive having some random jump in the gun seat, and get 1 kill every minute till we get shot down, cos 10 points for a piloting assist is pathetic, at least with my squad mate getting 3-4 kills per minute, i'm getting 60-80 points in assists, plus whatever i'm doing. Also, as an addendum to this, note that both the pilot and gunner in an attack chopper have unlocks, so dont both take stealth (it doesnt stack).

*Talking of not stacking, pay attention to what squad specs your squad is running with, even if you usually use squad explosives, if another squad mate has it, switch your spec to cover the gaps (even if you dont have a squad spec, if a squadmate is using squad sprint, change off your own personal sprint, etc)

*The AMTRAK is a rediculous piece of kit, if you stick it in the right place you can spawn a constant wave of attackers right into their base, so, if you see a guy park it somewhere sneaky, dont drive off in it when you spawn! and dont try and use it as a mobile gun turret, cos you'll just draw attention to it and get it killed, defenders often forget about unmanned vehicles in the heat of the moment.

*Defenders, kill their damn AMTRAKS!!!!

*K/D is not important, its not the be all/end all, and frankly having a 10.0 k/d is not nearly as impressive as having 500SPM, sure, good players often have both, but if you are hiding somewhere getting the occasional sneaky kill, cos you are worried about having a bad K/D, U R DOIN IT WRONG!!!!!

*If you cant pilot the jet, by all means, have a couple of practice tries every game, but dont be that guy, you know, THAT guy, that sits waiting to respawn in the jet every time it pops, and otherwise, stays dead all game, seriously, if you get shot down by their jet 2-3 times, suck it up, admit he's a better pilot, move on, an extra pair of boots on the ground is more important than an extra couple of rusting jets on the scrapheap.

*If you get a tank in rush, and wont push the objective, despite having a friendly engineer repairing you, get the fuck out of the tank, I've watched so many attack games on Grand Bazzar fail cos the attackers drive the tank back and forth up the same street trying to dodge rockets and get kills, an infantry assault supported by heavy armour rolls the third and fourth base on this map in like 2 minutes. :uzi:

Right, thats all i can think of for now, gonna go play some games, and see if anyone irritates me, so i can come back here and post about how they SHOULD be playing!

:)

Oh, yeah, if you wanna control the EOD bot easier, click right stick and use external view, helps TONS!!!

Oh, and if you need to learn how to fly a chopper, co-op mission 2, go go practice, without ruining games!!!!

Edited by Full Metal COS
EOD bots.......

Ok, I had misunderstood you (my apologies), thought you were saying us noobs should never use the vehicles.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, there is so much I don't understand fully about this game and I guess I never really thought that there were good times and bad times to crack the 'L' plates out and get some flying/driving lessons.

I have to admit that I'm not too bad with land based vehicles, but jets and choppers... jeez they scare me!

EDIT:

Oh, and if you need to learn how to fly a chopper, co-op mission 2, go go practice, without ruining games!!!!

Now that looks like another handy piece of advice. I'm guessing there's no way of practicing on your own though :(

Edited by thewintman

*Recon =/= sniper, i'm not saying with the above point not to use recon as an attacker, a few well placed radio beacons can win a rush match, but please, please, spawn with a PDW or shotgun if you can't snipe to save your life!!!

Fixed it for you. Actually, I should've just said "if you can't aim".

*Ok, whilst I expect I'm gonna catch some flak for this one (the comment as much as the bad pun), If you cant fly/gun in a chopper, stay the hell out of it, and even if you are a decent gunner, for jebus sake, dont jump in the gun seat of a guy who you are not on voice com with, (talking about the two man attack choppers here). Me and my buddy practised like crazy on co-op mission 2, and now we are pretty good in that chopper, but we rely on being able to talk to each other, co-ordinating flare drops, spotting stinger wielding engineers (its easy, watch the con-trail of the rocket) etc. A two man team working together in an attack chopper can rule a game so easily, but this will not happen if you cannot communicate with the other guy, also, as a pilot, its fucking offensive having some random jump in the gun seat, and get 1 kill every minute till we get shot down, cos 10 points for a piloting assist is pathetic, at least with my squad mate getting 3-4 kills per minute, i'm getting 60-80 points in assists, plus whatever i'm doing. Also, as an addendum to this, note that both the pilot and gunner in an attack chopper have unlocks, so dont both take stealth (it doesnt stack).

It's also fucking offensive when your buddy keeps shooting at the same target as you, and all you ever get are kill assists. Surely he could've gone for the other targets...

*The AMTRAK is a rediculous piece of kit, if you stick it in the right place you can spawn a constant wave of attackers right into their base, so, if you see a guy park it somewhere sneaky, dont drive off in it when you spawn! and dont try and use it as a mobile gun turret, cos you'll just draw attention to it and get it killed, defenders often forget about unmanned vehicles in the heat of the moment.

*Defenders, kill their damn AMTRAKS!!!!

I noticed this before when the enemy parked one just outside our base, and wondered how they could keep spawning without a spawn beacon, then realised it was the vehicle itself. Still, got to spawn rape a bunch of them until one of our engineers came along and scrapped it.

*K/D is not important, its not the be all/end all, and frankly having a 10.0 k/d is not nearly as impressive as having 500SPM, sure, good players often have both, but if you are hiding somewhere getting the occasional sneaky kill, cos you are worried about having a bad K/D, U R DOIN IT WRONG!!!!!

Having 500 SPM is not nearly as impressive as teamwork, or would you prefer recon stop spotting for you, so they can bolster their score rate that you find so important? (While yours goes down as a result AND the team becomes "blind" to enemy activity). Drop the sniper rifle for those "sneaky kills" between spots, and go for a "real man's" weapon, like an M249, shotgun or whatever other weapon that doesn't require aiming.

*If you cant pilot the jet, by all means, have a couple of practice tries every game, but dont be that guy, you know, THAT guy, that sits waiting to respawn in the jet every time it pops, and otherwise, stays dead all game, seriously, if you get shot down by their jet 2-3 times, suck it up, admit he's a better pilot, move on, an extra pair of boots on the ground is more important than an extra couple of rusting jets on the scrapheap.

I've seen THAT guy (and his buddy) wait for nearly an entire match for a chopper to respawn. Totally ridiculous. And you wouldn't believe what they did within seconds after they got the chopper...

*If you get a tank in rush, and wont push the objective, despite having a friendly engineer repairing you, get the fuck out of the tank, I've watched so many attack games on Grand Bazzar fail cos the attackers drive the tank back and forth up the same street trying to dodge rockets and get kills, an infantry assault supported by heavy armour rolls the third and fourth base on this map in like 2 minutes. :uzi:

I've seen so many games fail because people in tanks do nothing. When I'm in a tank, I'm all over the place. Going for check points all the time, blasting people while going between points. It's got to the stage where if I get the tank (and a good gunner) on Seine Crossing, we're almost guaranteed a win. If others get the tank, winning isn't usually in the picture. And then there's land mines of course. The amount of times I've seen people drive straight into those...

I saw a team mate literally make the helicopter to a 180 upside down. So the blades were facing the ground. He was parrallel to the fucking ground upside down! And then he crashed in front of me. I don't know if that is skill or just the worst pilot I have ever seen....

I saw a team mate literally make the helicopter to a 180 upside down. So the blades were facing the ground. He was parrallel to the fucking ground upside down! And then he crashed in front of me. I don't know if that is skill or just the worst pilot I have ever seen....

Either way, that's a pretty impressive feat!