banned for marketplace theft!

Gizm0 The Great

Thanks man for this post, heart attack over. It seems we're not the minority, meaning I thought only a few people do this but now it seems a larger number do this. IF MS come right out and say this is not allowed I will stop doing it.

To me though It seems harmless, I wouldn't buy CoD DLC no matter what and even if I couldn't "Share" it I'd still get access to it when my cousin is on my Xbox.

Hah, not a problem. I just thought it was kind of retarded to spend 20 - 30 bucks for two copies of something, when you can do it that way.

Maybe they have an issue (assuming this is what they mean by 'marketplace theft') when two people who live across the city or state or whatever do it and not so much when two consoles are on the same IP.

I wonder if some people are getting banned from that whole Microsoft points deal that happened a few weeks ago, where points were showing up in people's accounts without being purchased. I know some people purchased DLC and games with those points before their accounts were corrected.

It's definitely possible I guess. But if so, then I don't think a ban should be given, seeing as this was a Microsoft technical error in the first place, and if I remember rightly, 2 Microsoft employees gave differing views on it; one said they are your points to keep, the other saying they were taking them back.

If that is the case, they really should have specified what spending the points would/could result in.

Just like ive said in all of the other threads talking about bans. Microsoft does not just ban people for no reason. They actually have to collect quite a bit of proof to do so. Especially if its a console ban. But then again, it is very easy to break the terms if you don't know what marketplace theft and such actually is. Because it is very easy to unknowingly break the terms, but that still doesnt make you innocent. sorry

people keep saying they have to collect alot of evidence to ban you yet microsoft do not tell you why you are banned. So how to people know this?

my evidence is that I've been a member of xbox live for over 4 years & have never been banned because I don't do anything to warrant a ban. stay within the rules and you wont have to worry about being banned. also a company would not try to disrupt or annoy a good/legit gamer as they generally pump in alot of money into the service. why would they want to annoy their fanbase of loyal supporters (someone mentioned to make more money through new console sales) but that would be the biggest mistake a company can do. annoy one person and they tell loads of friends/family and they damage their name. they would also be gambling with banning consoles...ban 2000 legit gamers, half of them might not buy another console. shooting themselves in the foot. legit gamers have nothing to worry about :cool:

From what I've heard from people in Croatia who have been banned, it's because of exploiting a glitch allowing them to download BlackOps DLC without paying.

It happens that Treyarch DLCs are region-locked in Croatia and cannot be downloaded, they have found a workaround (using VPN), and received DLC for free.

This might not be the only reason they got banned, but it's one thing they have in common.

my evidence is that I've been a member of xbox live for over 4 years & have never been banned because I don't do anything to warrant a ban. stay within the rules and you wont have to worry about being banned. also a company would not try to disrupt or annoy a good/legit gamer as they generally pump in alot of money into the service. why would they want to annoy their fanbase of loyal supporters (someone mentioned to make more money through new console sales) but that would be the biggest mistake a company can do. annoy one person and they tell loads of friends/family and they damage their name. they would also be gambling with banning consoles...ban 2000 legit gamers, half of them might not buy another console. shooting themselves in the foot. legit gamers have nothing to worry about :cool:

i have been playing ban free since release too but there is still a part of me thinking. What if i ever get banned for nothing and then i end up like one of these people claiming innocence while everyone is telling me microsoft is never wrong.

i cannot believe for a second they never make a mistake.

Well this is dumb, as I know my half brother and his mum do this, I mean they're in a family pack and says. " I don't see why I should have to pay for the DLC twice when I own both the consoles, if my son wishes to play DLC on my other xbox with his account he shouldn be able to without having to pay for the DLC again."

I mean if this is truly the case, providing you have X amount of Xboxs microsoft want you to buy X amount of DLC to cover that? Imo that seems a bit too money grabbing, look at Sony on the otherhand they allow the dlc to be replayed on up to 5 PS3s. I'm sorry but it's starting to look like microsoft is losing it for me.

Family Packs are OK. Even if you have a family pack and one of the family members go to college, that's ok too, they keep the DLC/Arcade games.

Downloading the stuff to multiple consoles FOR YOUR OWN USE is ok. I can download N+ on 100 consoles if I'm playing it under MY ACCOUNT.

Transferring your stuff is OK too of course. If YOU are using the stuff.

Sharing with multiple people on one console I "think" is ok, not sure, but sharing with multiple accounts on multiple consoles IS NOT. It's the same paying for admission to a club and getting your hand stamped, then licking it and trying to get another person in for free. If it's just you and your spouse or significant other I doubt they would ban...but they could. They're more concerned about people with massive amounts of DLC sharing with multiple people. (not saying they wouldn't do it if it's between two people.)

If you want to share within a family/household, get the Family Pack!!

Although most of the time microsoft has good reason to ban you they should atleast tell you specifics so that way you know what you did "if your one of these people who supposedly did nothing wrong" just to shut everyone up about i didnt do anything wrong meh meh meh.

While I understand your point, I can also see where Microsoft is coming from saying that they won't divulge details.

Because if they tell the world how they caught these people, others will just look for new ways around thing. Where as by not telling specifics then people are unsure of what MS is looking for.

So, I can empathize with everyone - but I also see MS stance on it to.