My AS Exams. Opinions please.

Agent Aero

Okay, so. I haven't been to any of my English classes in the last 2-3 months, i find it really difficult to interpret a text and find all of these bullshit, made up meanings and i just can't stand the reading between the lines bollocks. Hell, i didn't even submit any coursework, which counts for 40% (I believe)

I thought i'd be able to do it, but it grew on me in a very negative way, like a cancerous lump and how i loathe it. My exam is on Tuesday i know 100% that i'll fail but do i go to the exam?

If i do go, i will fail and bring down the classes A*-C pass rate. At the moment our class is looking at about 100% without me sitting the exam. If i decide not to go then the teacher will have a class that has all passed AS English and damn will she be proud. Also, the school will be able to put in the prospectus that they had an English A-level class with a 100% pass rate,

On the other hand the school has payed money for my name to be entered into this exam, £100 i think? And me not going to the exam i will be doing what most of the people in this country do; Sponge off of the government. (I am aware that some people cannot work because of extenuating circumstances but lets not get into that.)

Also, i'm not certian on what to do when i want to leave school, whenever people ask me that question i say i just want to be happy, which i do. I just want to be happy and content with my life and be grateful for what i have and not to always want for more.(Words from the heart right there)

So seriously people, i need opinions/suggestions.

If you plan on going to University then your best bet is not to sit the exam. Not sittting it will result in a U which doesn't have to be declared whereas even if you get an E you have to declare it on your UCAS form.

Regardless, there doesn't seem to be any point of you sitting the exam. Either way the £100 has been wasted as you aren't going to pass. I think even the school would much rather you not turn up if you're going to lower their pass rates.

Seems like a waste of time turning up to me, it's hardly sponging off the government anyway, at least you're being educated instead of the cunts who sit at home all day and just live off benefits.

When you leave school it will generally work itself out anyway. If you have enough money then take a gap year. If not, just get any old job for a year until you work out what you want to do permanently.

I should of mentioned in my first post that i don't plan on going to university. I don't want to spend £10k+ and waste a few years of my life and end up not having a job. I already have a GCSE in English but the A-levels slapped me like a bitch.

I'm slightly leaning towards not going and what Keano just said really put it in perspective for me.

If you're not planning on university then there's no reason not to go. If you've got a zero in the course so far and your exam is worth 60%, you can pass the course if you get an 84 on the exam (83.3 to be exact). You've got nothing to lose by going since there is the off chance that you'll pass (it's English class- study the spark notes for each book you were supposed to read and then just bullshit the exam).

Who cares about the class pass rate? It's not your problem. As far as I'm concerned, whether or not you go it's a lie to claim a 100% pass rate since you failed - even if skipping the exam doesn't go on the books as a fail it still is a fail.

If you didn't submit your coursework there is not much point in attending the exam, that happened with me on one my english classes, although my reason was teacher just ignored me and I just got fed up and left.

If you do attend exam you're gonna need to get it near to the max marks by itself which will be easier said than done.

who gives a fuck about the colleges scores or whatever?

The thing is if you didnt had anything in because you didnt do anything because you couldnt be arsed, then at least show some courtesy and go to the exam, its just manners.

But if you didnt hand anything in because you couldnt do it, then dont go, what makes you think the exam would be any easier than the coursework? =/

Why do you at all care about the classes pass rate?

And just go and literally write anything, English you can bullshit away. As long as you "explain yourself" (Make up semi convincing reasons) you can do well. Hell even I got an A in GCSE English (A level is probebly a lot harder) as long as you try and explain yourself. Maybe borrow one of your freinds texts and read through a few of the notes at least.

Might as well attened, give yourself a chance of passing. And just so you know at A level an E is a pass. Ucas offers can have Es in them (My freind has offer of AEE) Id say go for it and good luck.

I got one of my further maths modules on wednessday and trying to bullshit that would be alot harder than english.

TL;DR: Go for it

What exam board is it?

And I will be taking my C4 MEI Maths Exam on thursday and I have zoned out for nearly every lesson because the teacher is so boring. And now I'm having to revise everything.

I hate exams

I would go just to fuck up the class results. (Maybe it's just me, but I like screwing with folk irl. Plus it'll help keep them with their feet on the ground, last thing anybody wants is some up themselves prick/school in general that goes on about how some class got all amazing passes and stuff).

Write a few answers then do like this guy did though :p:biglaugh

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf_BaS2oqcc]YouTube- superman in lecture[/ame]

How do you know that?

Simple math my man, with the assumptions that the exam is worth 60% (he said the coursework was worth 40%) and that a 50% is a pass.

He said he's handed in no coursework which means he has a 0 of 40 possible points.

60 times X = 50 where X is the mark on the exam. Therefore X = 83.3

In which case he'll have 0/40 for the term and 50/60 for the exam, which is 50/100 overall.

I don't want to spend £10k+ and waste a few years of my life and end up not having a job.
Wow, what? Just study something worthwhile at university and get a good grade, then you won't have much trouble finding a job. Surely it's better than just having a menial job for the sake of it and knowing it probably isn't making you happy?

I'm actually in a similar situation to you. I have struggled with AS English over the last year and despite asking for help, nothing has made it any easier for me. I was actually asked to not sit the exam to improve the college's pass rates, but I basically told them to go fuck themselves.

Any grade other than a U or F is a pass. So I'm taking the exam either way to ensure I'm accepted back to college next year. I say take the exam, because anything is better than nothing at the end of the day.

who gives a fuck about the colleges scores or whatever?

The thing is if you didnt had anything in because you didnt do anything because you couldnt be arsed, then at least show some courtesy and go to the exam, its just manners.

But if you didnt hand anything in because you couldnt do it, then dont go, what makes you think the exam would be any easier than the coursework? =/

I didn't hand in my coursework because i hated the subject and with that attitude i wasn't able to bring myself to do the coursework and it's just way to complex. I did also think about my teacher. She is a really good teacher and friendly etc and if i didn't turn up then i am basically throwing all of the time she spent on me back in her face.

Okay, so for all those who are interested, i attended the exam.

The first part we had a speech from Martin Luther King and we had to discuss his thoughts and feelings throughout the speech and relate it to other modern day texts which have the same theme; the struggle for identity. Modern day texts is anything post 1914.

The next part is the poetry section, throughout the year we've been looking at an anthology of poems by Carol Ann Duffy, specifically a book called "The Worlds Wife". Our exam question was: Duffy has been described as a provocative poet. How far do you agree with this statement. I went all out and said i fully agree because she is. She's a bloody pervert. Anyway, i managed 4 A4 pages of writing in 1 hour for this part and i know people say quality over quantity but i thought i done pretty darn good.

But taking all of this into account it's more or less impossible for me to achieve even a grade C. The coursework is worth 40%, exam part 1 is 30% and exam part 2 is 30%. So that's that. ;) I'd just like to say thanks to everyone whi actually took the time to read this thread and give me their thoughts, cheers.