Rate the last game you played...

Mr Bungle

Injustice: Gods Among Us - 7/10

I've only played the campaign and went for a few achievements but it's a pretty good game. The campaign itself is EXTREMELY short. It took me 6 hours max to beat it and that's sugar-coating it. I played the story on Medium difficulty and it wasn't all that difficult as I only lost about 4 fights. This really made me think it wasn't completely worth $30 but $20 would be perfect.

Like most fighting games, the achievements are a bitch. I got 13 by playing naturally and an extra 6 that I went for. I can't really be bothered to get anymore than that since most of them are grindy.

My last complaint is kind of a nitpick but I thought the combat in this game was noticeably slower than MK9. In the end, the game was very enjoyable and it actually makes me a little more excited for MKX.

Final Fantasy VII: 9/10

Let me say this first: I did NOT play the original game on PS1 and I haven't beat the game yet.

I picked this up on Steam during the Summer Sale for about $4 and I'd say it's been pretty damn good so far. Music is pretty damn catchy(the battle theme anyone?) and the materias are pretty cool to use. The game itself is fun to play and some of the achievements are pretty easy(Use 1st limits, get optional party members)

If you are a completionist and and play this game, it will probably be hell for you as the completion will probably be 100+ hours. Some of the achievements are ridiculous, like having to get and master EVERY materia in the game(with the exception of a few). That means if you don't get a materia that is missible, you have to start from the beginning of the game.

Achievement list:http://steamcommunity.com/stats/FINALFANTASYVII/achievements

Bastion 8/10

Aesthetically its one of the most beautiful games i have played. The art style is amazing, and the music is what made me get into video game music.

Gameplay gets repetitive after a while. You can only hold 2 weapons at once which can suck at times. and literally combat is roll to avoid stuff and shoot/swing a hammer or bladed weapon not a lot of depth to it. The spirits and gods can make things interesting mixing up how difficult you make enemies by activating certain gods, and how powerful you can be by using certain spirits and by upgrading your weapons.

The story is interesting, the narrator gives bits and pieces of information about how the world was before a tragic event. Sadly you leave with more questions then answers at the games conclusion.

Its a short game probably 4-5 hours for one then another 2-3 for a NG+ but its well worth the money.

Wolfenstein: The New Order on the One. 9 out of 10. Nice retro feels of the classic but plenty of new modern day-ness as well.

Agreed! I also just finished Wolfenstein on the X1 and loved it. The story, the gameplay, the combat and weapons, it was all enjoyable. Easily a 9/10. I'm very happy I tried this one out.

The Darkness: 7/10

Well-written. Slow and methodical.

Sluggish gameplay but great story, powers were fun to use but easy to abuse the black hole a bit too much. If you don’t mind a blast from the past in gameplay with slow pacing, it’s a solid ride with a great story. The Jenny scenes especially were well-done and the history nut in me didn’t mind the WWI era throwback hell levels either. The Darkness guns are a hoot to blow people away with once you acquire them.

Combat had to be approached with some planning, wading out into a firefight or not watching your back from flanking enemies would be punished severely. Keep your eyes open and always look up to in case there’s a catwalk or something, any platform above is sure to have an enemy you may not see right away and they WILL kill you without you even knowing they were there. 

Without a guide finding all the side quests can be a pain and simple way-finding even for main missions can be confusing as there are no guiding markers. Which in itself is actually refreshing as you are left to actually use your brain.  You just have a general area map and literally…. Road signs! Be a tourist, keep an eye out for signs to guide you. Some random wandering will still happen. Having to traverse the same sections of the subway all the time got a bit boring though. 

Played on Normal. The game is longer than I imagined, felt like it kept going and going and going and even though it consistently got more interesting as it went, still kept going. There’s a good chunk of quality game time to be had here and as you play it gets more fun, even with a sluggish start. Didn’t need an MP mode at all to be enjoyed but I couldn’t bring myself to commit the time to play it again on Hard.

MP: didn’t touch

The Darkness 2: 8.5/10

Ridiculously gory fun.

The change in voice actor’s for Jackie was a bit jarring to be honest. Brian Bloom just didn’t have Kirk Acevedo’s grit and menace. When Kirk’s Jackie said in a nice calm relaxed voice he was going to blow your fucking brains out, I believed it.

Game play was smoother, more akin to current FPS controls and very slick use of the thumbsticks to control the darkness tentacles. Mauling through battles was a blast, you can pretty much walk out into a firestorm and demolish everything in front of you and even on Hard with your powers upgraded the game isn’t much more testing than on Normal, but is no less enjoyable. Blasting through it on NG+ didn’t take long at all. The only part of the story I wasn’t too keen on were the asylum scenes which I found rather boring until the end. They added to the story nicely, but they were just kinda boring.

BONUS happy dance: NO MP!!! J Instead they have a 1-4 player co-op Vendetta mode. I played it solo on easy just to plow through.

The Vendetta levels using different characters are quite fun. I used the Scottish drunkard Jimmy Wilson because I liked his axe and used it like a boomerang quite often. As well as being able to summon esplodon’ darklings. The Vendetta’s are short and sweet, fun, easy to blast through all of them in a couple hours and their stories run parallel to Jackie’s in the game. So I’d recommend not playing until after completing the main campaign. They don't spoil anything per se, but they do give hints to what Jackie is doing along the way. 

Honestly an easy and satisfying completion even for me the “no fucking way I’m bothering with that annoying one” guy. The hardest part about getting 100% in this game was “That’s Why I’m The Boss” to impress Dolfo by shooting pigeons and bottles with a time limit. Pain in the ass and no fun at all. To call this one annoying is an understatement. I’m a fucking immortal mob boss with tentacles of ass-kicking doom that will eat your heart and soul…. And Dolfo has me chasing fucking pigeons. Fuck you Dolfo. 

Darksiders (in progress): 5/10

Meh.

The apocalypse, heaven and hell locked in battle and humans caught in the middle, war on a biblical old testament level, fire and brimstone and the skies open to unleash legions of angels and demons, and you play the most badass of the Horsemen himself: War. All things point to awesome eh? 

Nope. Well, I'm not done the game yet and as much as I like the thematic, it's a button mashing hack & slash. I can't stand button mashing hack and slash.

So I'm plodding through. Stuck at the Tiamat fight, playing on what amounts to Normal. And so far not very compelled to complete the story. It's not entirely as frustrating as others, but definitely not as fun as say..... Viking, which I found oddly satisfying with it's minimalist stealth and huge massive massive MASSIVE battles. Boss fights in Darksiders are a chore. Even mini-bosses take forever to kill. And repeated QTE's (which I also despise) to take down main bosses is torture. 

Levels are long and mix up combat and puzzles decently enough that you don't really feel too drained by one or the other at any point. But both combined and the length of the levels it's wearing thin. Honestly I don't normally say this but wishing this game was shorter, a lot of the level design seems bent on just making you trudge as far as possible. Graphically the post-apocalyptic landscape in such a cartoonish form is fun and I like using cars to smash enemies with. But really, it's repetitious and getting boring.  There isn't a lot of creativity to the encounters in this game. 

In a nutshell: 

Loooooooooooong ass levels.....

meet the boss

War: I'm here to kill you

Enemy Boss God thing: HA HA HA You shall perish War

*fight*die*reload*die*reload*win*

Repeat with next immortal boss god thing after an incredibly long fucking level. 

Seriously on my way to Tiamat, I had to collect 3 crystal swords to open the way. Just to get the third sword took so damn long I forgot why i was even trudging through to collect in the first place. 

It's not making me want to pick up the sequel any time soon and I feel like the X button on my controller is about to rebel against me. No wonder I stick with shooters and rpg's. 

The Walking Dead: Season 2 - 8.5/10

If you enjoyed the 1st season, this is a must play. Episodes 3 and 4 are brilliant and they both stick with you. This is why I didn't give it a 9. Episodes 1 and 2 don't really get to you and are quite forgettable unlike Season 1. The ending I got with this season wasn't all that great either.

Overall, this was a good game for Episodes 3 and 4 alone. The rest just don't have that lasting effect.

Super Time Force- 4/10

Anybody that remembers me review of Shadow Complex, you'll remember that I mentioned I dislike most side scrollers. While I have found exceptions (like Max and The Curse of Brotherhood) this is one of those games that apparently is too far-gone for me. I liked the mechanic of being able to warp back in time to generate copies of your players that could work together, but the game is plagued with too much on-screen clutter and every level is cursed with an obnoxiously low-set timer that you have to race. Nothing sucks like getting to the final boss of a level and discovering you don't have enough time to beat it and have to restart the whole level over again. Any game that restricts levels with timers are an automatic fail in my book.

I haven't decided yet if I want to do a full review on the game or not, but if I do, I'll probably just end up tackling a set of reviews for all of the GWG games on the Xbox One. You may or may not have that to look forward to. I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow (If I'm not too busy playing Warframe.)

Super Time Force- 4/10

Anybody that remembers me review of Shadow Complex, you'll remember that I mentioned I dislike most side scrollers. While I have found exceptions (like Max and The Curse of Brotherhood) this is one of those games that apparently is too far-gone for me. I liked the mechanic of being able to warp back in time to generate copies of your players that could work together, but the game is plagued with too much on-screen clutter and every level is cursed with an obnoxiously low-set timer that you have to race. Nothing sucks like getting to the final boss of a level and discovering you don't have enough time to beat it and have to restart the whole level over again. Any game that restricts levels with timers are an automatic fail in my book.

You prefer Max over STF? :eek:

I absolutely hated Max, ha ha. But you've only completed the 198X time zone? Give STF more of a chance! You'll get better!