343: Next Halo will be 'much better'

Hishoa

Don't worry. I'm working as hard as I can to get a job with 343....

...launch title for the new Xbox. It will be supported throughout the entirety of the console's lifespan.

A lot of text.

Anyway, some thoughts and ideas if I were put in charge of Halo 5 and 6 development.

Oh my DarkReign, you've really thought about this haven't you? :p

- Seraph & Shadow! Loved those.

- No Drones...please.

- Completely cut out MP? It'll never happen, unfortunately...although I'd LOVE that!

- Wait, since when did the Brutes respect the Human race? Am I missing something?

- "I would also imagine there are Forerunner forces elsewhere left behind by the Librarian for Humanity's benefit." Interesting thought...

- Return of the Flood is essential.

The Flood is essentially what Halo is all about. Not the Forerunner, not the Covenant, not Humanity.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my DarkReign, you've really thought about this haven't you? :p

- Seraph & Shadow! Loved those.

- No Drones...please.

- Completely cut out MP? It'll never happen, unfortunately...although I'd LOVE that!

- Wait, since when did the Brutes respect the Human race? Am I missing something?

- "I would also imagine there are Forerunner forces elsewhere left behind by the Librarian for Humanity's benefit." Interesting thought...

- Return of the Flood is essential.

The Flood is essentially what Halo is all about. Not the Forerunner, not the Covenant, not Humanity.

-I love all of the vehicles in the series. That's why I'm sad when they drop vehicles out of the series for no reason.

-Drones are ok as long as they're not over-used. Perhaps limit them to air conflicts when you have vehicles or aircraft available.

-That's what the Standalone Halo multiplayer revamp is for. Sort of like an MMO, but on a smaller scale. Have a constantly growing multiplayer in the series instead of doing a new multiplayer with every game that runs the risk of people hating it more than the last one. Halo 4's multiplayer is in a precarious position where it's as good as Halo 3 while utilizing elements of Reach's multiplayer. Glitches and maps are the only things that are really hindering the game from being amazing.

- If I remember correctly, the short story "Stomping On the Heels of A Fuss" one of the Brutes mentioned how humanity was courageous and fought with tenacity. Since it takes places after Halo 3, it's the eventual defeat of the Covenant and destruction of the Ark that eventually swayed the Brutes opinion.

- It's a thought. Not necessarily one that needs to be acted on, but I've always wanted the Sentinels to play a bigger role with more varieties. I also really want the Sentinel Enforcer from Halo 2 to come back (Actually, most of the stuff I want back just happened to be from Halo 2. It really was Bungie's most ambitious title.)

- So true. I've been saying forever that the Flood is the very existence of the series. The creation of the Halo's, the Ark, the Shielf Worlds, the war between Humanity and the Forerunner, the return of Humanity to a primitive state, the extinction of the Forerunner, and more. I personally never had a problem with them, but I know most people didn't enjoy them as much as I did. This could be curbed with more diversity in units and smarter units as a whole. The whole "overcome with numbers" tactic was fine in the past, but if the Flood can drive vehicles, handle weapons, and repair spaceships, than they should be capable of so much more. The presence of Gravemind focus the abilities of the Flood and more potential should be tapped because of that. And like I said, Spartan-IV Flood. Give them their shields and access to the various Armor abilities like the Thruster.

I guess you could sign up here and wait for some notifications to pop?

http://m.microsoft-careers.com/

lol. I've been signed up for that thing since I turned 18. Never anything good on that list.

Edited by DarkReign2021

-I love all of the vehicles in the series. That's why I'm sad when they drop vehicles out of the series for no reason.

-Drones are ok as long as they're not over-used. Perhaps limit them to air conflicts when you have vehicles or aircraft available.

-That's what the Standalone Halo multiplayer revamp is for. Sort of like an MMO, but on a smaller scale. Have a constantly growing multiplayer in the series instead of doing a new multiplayer with every game that runs the risk of people hating it more than the last one. Halo 4's multiplayer is in a precarious position where it's as good as Halo 3 while utilizing elements of Reach's multiplayer. Glitches and maps are the only things that are really hindering the game from being amazing.

- If I remember correctly, the short story "Stomping On the Heels of A Fuss" one of the Brutes mentioned how humanity was courageous and fought with tenacity. Since it takes places after Halo 3, it's the eventual defeat of the Covenant and destruction of the Ark that eventually swayed the Brutes opinion.

- It's a thought. Not necessarily one that needs to be acted on, but I've always wanted the Sentinels to play a bigger role with more varieties. I also really want the Sentinel Enforcer from Halo 2 to come back (Actually, most of the stuff I want back just happened to be from Halo 2. It really was Bungie's most ambitious title.)

- So true. I've been saying forever that the Flood is the very existence of the series. The creation of the Halo's, the Ark, the Shielf Worlds, the war between Humanity and the Forerunner, the return of Humanity to a primitive state, the extinction of the Forerunner, and more. I personally never had a problem with them, but I know most people didn't enjoy them as much as I did. This could be curbed with more diversity in units and smarter units as a whole. The whole "overcome with numbers" tactic was fine in the past, but if the Flood can drive vehicles, handle weapons, and repair spaceships, than they should be capable of so much more. The presence of Gravemind focus the abilities of the Flood and more potential should be tapped because of that. And like I said, Spartan-IV Flood. Give them their shields and access to the various Armor abilities like the Thruster.

It could work. I never read that story, I'm assuming it's from Evolutions? But if that's the case, it'd be really interesting if the Brutes returned in the next two installments.

I completely forgot about the Sentinel Enforcer until now. Sentinels and other Forerunner A.I should definitely make it into the next game since I honestly don't see how and why Chief will/would be fighting Prometheans again since the Didact is "dead" (which I still believe he isn't).

Spot on about the Flood. The Halo Universe is built upon their existence. If they don't show in 5 or 6, then that is a shame and disappoint on 343's part. Spartan-IV' Flood for Campaign you mean? That would be...deadly!

Wanted to point out how you claimed that Halo 2 was Bungie's best game/title. I gotta agree here. Not because of nostalgia like most will have about the MP, but because of the story. I enjoyed fighting the Flood as the Arbiter and speaking of Thel, I loved playing as him.

It was a shame when I read on the HaloWiki that Arbiter gameplay was cut from Halo 3 because many fans complained that it, "took away from the Chief's story." If anything, it made the story more interesting.

Get a job at 343, man. Seriously. Based on your two posts alone, I already know that you have more of a creative approach towards the story. Some, if not all of your ideas, might not satisfy the MP fans (who cares about them really) but they sure as hell satisfy my Halo needs.

Halo needs. Ha...I really just said that.

• 2 weeks later...

If the next xbox is coming out soon I wonder if Halo 5 will be a launch title or close to launch to sell the next xbox. I hope it will be much better than Halo 4 which was great. I have not enjoyed a game like this in a long time. Here is hoping.

Edited by Dcfisher
Had more to say.

If the next xbox is coming out soon I wonder if Halo 5 will be a launch title or close to launch to sell the next xbox. I hope it will be much better than Halo 4 which was great. I have not enjoyed a game like this in a long time. Here is hoping.

Doubt it. Halo 5 won't be out until 2015. If they make a Halo 2 Anniversary, that won't be out until 2014 (10 year anniversary).

If rumors are true, the new Xbox will be arriving this Holiday season. With that said, it's suggested that launch titles will be Modern Warfare 4 and/or a HD Remake of the Halo Trilogy.

Just some insight. All rumors though. But Halo 5 will for certain not be a launch title.

Doubt it. Halo 5 won't be out until 2015. If they make a Halo 2 Anniversary, that won't be out until 2014 (10 year anniversary).

If rumors are true, the new Xbox will be arriving this Holiday season. With that said, it's suggested that launch titles will be Modern Warfare 4 and/or a HD Remake of the Halo Trilogy.

Just some insight. All rumors though. But Halo 5 will for certain not be a launch title.

Halo 2 Anniversary might as well be in that Trilogy Remake....

New xbox this year is a possibility, but I don't see it happening until at least next year. They might surprise me though. What I do know is they won't release a Halo HD trilogy. Halo 1 has already been done (and thus would piss off too many people if they tried to release it again so soon) and Halo 3 is already in HD and looks gorgeous as it is. Halo 2 is the only title that stands to be given the HD treatment. With Anniversary the graphic overhaul was amazing and I definitely see 343 wanting to repeat the process for Halo 2, but honestly I would be okay with a basic graphical overhaul. Unlike Halo 1, which had blatantly dated graphics, Halo 2 did not. It was one of the best looking games on the original Xbox and were it not for the lack of HD, would probably still look better than a handful of the games coming out for the 360 now.

At this point, they absolutely have to release a Halo 2 HD release. I took time earlier today to readjust my CD Binder and built in a spot for Forward Unto Dawn that came in the mail today and set a spot for Halo 5 and 6. I also went ahead and made room for Halo 2 Anniversary, so they bloody well better do it!

New xbox this year is a possibility, but I don't see it happening until at least next year. They might surprise me though. What I do know is they won't release a Halo HD trilogy. Halo 1 has already been done (and thus would piss off too many people if they tried to release it again so soon) and Halo 3 is already in HD and looks gorgeous as it is. Halo 2 is the only title that stands to be given the HD treatment. With Anniversary the graphic overhaul was amazing and I definitely see 343 wanting to repeat the process for Halo 2, but honestly I would be okay with a basic graphical overhaul. Unlike Halo 1, which had blatantly dated graphics, Halo 2 did not. It was one of the best looking games on the original Xbox and were it not for the lack of HD, would probably still look better than a handful of the games coming out for the 360 now.

I had thought at first that it would probably be coming out 2014 Holidays, but I'm almost convinced it's due to come out this year. Halo 2's graphics were good for it's time, no doubt, but they're still dated and an HD Remake would be great. It'd be fun to see the Prophets, Tartarus, Gravemind and everything else HD.

A Halo 3 Remake isn't necessary at all, I only bring up a Trilogy HD Remake because someone made a thread a while back about a rumor behind it.

Halo 2 HD looking better than most 360 games? Maybe...but doubt it. Have you played L.A. Noire? Easily the best graphics on the 360 to date, IMO at least.

Anyways, I hope the do a Halo 2 Anniversary, it's my favorite Campaign in the franchise and it'd be nice to do it all over again.

I had thought at first that it would probably be coming out 2014 Holidays, but I'm almost convinced it's due to come out this year. Halo 2's graphics were good for it's time, no doubt, but they're still dated and an HD Remake would be great. It'd be fun to see the Prophets, Tartarus, Gravemind and everything else HD.

A Halo 3 Remake isn't necessary at all, I only bring up a Trilogy HD Remake because someone made a thread a while back about a rumor behind it.

Halo 2 HD looking better than most 360 games? Maybe...but doubt it. Have you played L.A. Noire? Easily the best graphics on the 360 to date, IMO at least.

Anyways, I hope the do a Halo 2 Anniversary, it's my favorite Campaign in the franchise and it'd be nice to do it all over again.

Whoa Whoa. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. I never said it looked better than MOST 360 titles. But it's still better than a handful of the games I've played on the 360. Just listing off the top of my head, Prey, Earth Defense Force, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Fable 3. That's not including bad games like Onchenbara, Kengo, yadda yadda yadda.

The reason I say H2's graphics are better isn't because of texture or resolution (Like I said, lack of HD is the defacto reason H2 does NOT look better than any of the games I listed) but because Halo 2 actually had an established artistic style. Halo 1, which looked great for it's time, was very flat and didn't really have an artistic style aside from Covenant Ships. So it benefited from having itself graphically overhauled to more closely resemble the Halo series as it is now.

Like I said though, I would love to see Halo 2 completely redone like CEA. I just don't feel it's necessary if that the route they choose to go. Even if they just give us a base HD release I would still buy it (and of course that's talking just Campaign. Everybody knows the multiplayer has a slim to no chance of even ever resurfacing.

Whoa Whoa. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. I never said it looked better than MOST 360 titles. But it's still better than a handful of the games I've played on the 360.

The reason I say H2's graphics are better isn't because of texture or resolution...but because Halo 2 actually had an established artistic style.

Like I said though, I would love to see Halo 2 completely redone like CEA. I just don't feel it's necessary if that the route they choose to go. Even if they just give us a base HD release I would still buy it (and of course that's talking just Campaign. Everybody knows the multiplayer has a slim to no chance of even ever resurfacing.

Well with this, it makes more sense to me now. Now that you mention it...I have played some shitty-graphic games in the past 3 years alone. Not to say the games are bad, their graphics are just not impressive.

I'd easily buy a Halo 2 Remake as well. List it as $40 again like CEA and I'm sold. Hell, I'd even buy it for $60, lol. I highly doubt they would resurface the Multiplayer, they'd probably just do what CEA did and take a handful of maps and toss them into Halo 4's playlists.

Off Topic: I loved how you could change between graphics in CEA with a simple click of the :back: button. I found myself playing through 343 Guilty Spark, Library and Keyes in the old graphics a lot. I don't even know why.

It's painful to watch people defend the game still even though the man in charge of Halo admits it's bad.

This is what happens when you hire people from Infinity Ward and Treyarch and let their voices be louder than an already existing, ready to buy fan base whose majority didn't like Reach in the first place. The mistakes that were made? Copy-paste ad nauseum from the highest selling, most played shooter on the market. Something that Halo used to be. The mistake was thinking that by mimicking those gameplay mechanics you would steal their fan base and money. Sure, people voted with their wallets in their initial interest of the game, but look at it now. More people play Medal of Honor Warfighter I bet. I heard MLG dropped Halo because of the whole Virgin Gaming deal. That's a shot in the foot that already has a hole in it.

But no, no matter what you tell people, some of them will sit there digging in their heels and deny any wrong doings. Everyone stopped playing: "That doesn't matter, as long as I can find a game I'm happy, the number of people playing doesn't matter at all". They copied Call of Duty: "No they didn't, these things aren't exclusive to CoD, they just copied everyone else (who already copy CoD)".

This is twice that Halo has failed on a main entry. Sure Frank O'Connor can promise me that Halo 5 will be better and I might even buy it to see if he is right but at this point will anyone else? Halo's population will never return to it's full strength ever again. It's done, over, the damage has been dealt. MLG picking up CoD is just further solidifying it's chokehold on the shooter world. Next generation is just going to be the same story different hardware.

343 has even bigger shoes to fill now.

I constantly found myself going back and forth graphically everytime I got to landmarks that I remembered fondly in the original game. I would go into old graphics, approach something, swap to new, and just be amazed by the difference. The only thing that bugged me about was the things they resized. Extras added to things like the tank were transparent and could go through things like they didn't exist and things that were scaled back like Cliff Edges still physically existed in their original state, so you would get stuck on invisible walls when driving vehicles. Not much of an issue. Just a minor nit-pick of mine.

Honestly I'm not against them doing the thing with the H4 and map packs this time anyway. Halo 4's multiplayer isn't bad IMO. It just needs more content. I require more maps and more playlists and I'd be happy with it (Super psyched that Grif Ball is almost here!)

? Copy-paste ad nauseum from the highest selling, most played shooter on the market. Something that Halo used to be. The mistake was thinking that by mimicking those gameplay mechanics you would steal their fan base and money.

I'm sure they had no intentions of 'stealing' another games fanbase. Think of it more as attracting a larger crowd. Included in that crowd, those who have never played Halo before.

More people play Medal of Honor Warfighter I bet.

LOL! I highly doubt that...that game was god-awful I heard.

This is twice that Halo has failed on a main entry. Sure Frank O'Connor can promise me that Halo 5 will be better and I might even buy it to see if he is right but at this point will anyone else? Halo's population will never return to it's full strength ever again.

Again, 'failed' is pretty harsh. Halo 4 sold well, there's no denying that. It's still not that good...but it sold well...which is far from failing.

I do agree with some of your points though. FPS's nowadays are terrible. They're all a copy-and-paste from one another. Creativity is lacking. Innovation is lacking. It's the truth.

Multiplayer-wise, I honestly don't expect Halo 5 to be that good. The only reason I will be purchasing Halo 5 is because Halo has one of my favorite Campaigns/Story of any FPS and I sure as hell want to continue the Master Chief's story, especially with Cortana outta the picture.

It's painful to watch people defend the game still even though the man in charge of Halo admits it's bad.

This is what happens when you hire people from Infinity Ward and Treyarch and let their voices be louder than an already existing, ready to buy fan base whose majority didn't like Reach in the first place. The mistakes that were made? Copy-paste ad nauseum from the highest selling, most played shooter on the market. Something that Halo used to be. The mistake was thinking that by mimicking those gameplay mechanics you would steal their fan base and money. Sure, people voted with their wallets in their initial interest of the game, but look at it now. More people play Medal of Honor Warfighter I bet. I heard MLG dropped Halo because of the whole Virgin Gaming deal. That's a shot in the foot that already has a hole in it.

But no, no matter what you tell people, some of them will sit there digging in their heels and deny any wrong doings. Everyone stopped playing: "That doesn't matter, as long as I can find a game I'm happy, the number of people playing doesn't matter at all". They copied Call of Duty: "No they didn't, these things aren't exclusive to CoD, they just copied everyone else (who already copy CoD)".

This is twice that Halo has failed on a main entry. Sure Frank O'Connor can promise me that Halo 5 will be better and I might even buy it to see if he is right but at this point will anyone else? Halo's population will never return to it's full strength ever again. It's done, over, the damage has been dealt. MLG picking up CoD is just further solidifying it's chokehold on the shooter world. Next generation is just going to be the same story different hardware.

343 has even bigger shoes to fill now.

Frank never said the game was Bad. He simply stated that they know the areas they were weak in and he knows where they need to improve for next time. And Halo 4 isn't bad by any means. Just because it's not the strongest game in the series doesn't mean it's bad. Same goes for Reach. No game in the Halo series is bad and if anybody thinks it is, they obviously have never played an actual "bad' game before.

What are you on about Infinity Ward and Treyarch? Nobody form either of those companies works for 343 or has any hand in it. And as for saying Halo 4 copied from CoD, that's blatantly false. No videogame owns a particular feature and any game can use any feature they want. And besides that, there were games long before Call of Duty that use loadouts in one manner or another. Just look at the original Counter-Strike for example. Halo took nothing from any particular game, instead focusing on making personal changes to itself in ways that the developers felt might be beneficial to the series.

MLG dropping the Halo series also isn't necessarily a bad thing either. It's pathetic that people think because a subpar gaming subsidiary comprised of a small minority of the gaming population decided to drop Halo 4 that this means the game is bad. MLG is a very childish and poorly-conceived attempt at encouraging competitive drive and attempting to influence game developers to their way of thinking instead of doing what the developers themselves are aiming to create. I am personally glad MLG has disassociated themselves from Halo 4 because I've noticed the Halo community has improved substantially. H3, H4, and Reach have seen a huge decrease in "MLG Pros" bragging about their leet skills and complaining about how Halo doesn't cater to MLG needs anymore.

As for people defending the game no matter how bad it is, that's because, believe it or not, some people actually might enjoy the game. Shocking, right? I myself find Halo 4 to be one of my favorite games in the series. ODST and Halo 1 had better campaigns, but Halo 4 has a better campaign than H2, H3, and Reach in my opinion, so i'm definitely not "defending the game despite how bad it is."

What are you on about Infinity Ward and Treyarch? Nobody form either of those companies works for 343 or has any hand in it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/370168/interviews/frank-oconnor-halo-needs-to-innovate/

Certainly, and we've hired people from Treyarch and Infinity Ward, and so those people are bringing some of their habits to the game.

You were saying?

minor employees in positions that have little to no effect on the overall decisions made toward final gameplay decisions. The development heads in charge of actually deciding what direction each aspect of the game goes in were strictly Ex-Bungie employees.

There are only 3 former bungie employees working for 343 and Frank O'Connor is one of them. Frank had little to no actual input on Halo 4 and has admitted so several times.

Josh Holmes, creative director for Halo 4 (meaning the most creative input) never worked for Bungie. He worked for EA on FIFA before 343. Kevin Franklin, lead multiplayer designer never worked for Bungie either.

So again, you are wrong. Do you deal in facts at all? Or do you just make stuff up as you go along?

Edited by Razor Buddha

There are only 3 former bungie employees working for 343 and Frank O'Connor is one of them. Frank had little to no actual input on Halo 4 and has admitted so several times.

Josh Holmes, creative director for Halo 4 (meaning the most creative input) never worked for Bungie. He worked for EA on FIFA before 343. Kevin Franklin, lead multiplayer designer never worked for Bungie either.

So again, you are wrong. Do you deal in facts at all? Or do you just make stuff up as you go along?

Does it matter who works for which department in 343i?

Dark made a point. Call of Duty doesn't 'own' loadouts, perks, or any of that. Thus, Halo didn't "copy" Call of Duty. End of discussion...there's honestly no arguing that, and if you persist to, you're just being stubborn.

Dark made a point. Call of Duty doesn't 'own' loadouts, perks, or any of that. Thus, Halo didn't "copy" Call of Duty. End of discussion...there's honestly no arguing that, and if you persist to, you're just being stubborn.

CoD owns loadouts and perks about as much as an intangible gameplay mechanic can be owned. It's obvious that Halo did take the idea of spawning with custom made loadouts from CoD because that's what developers do when they want to sell games. Support and tactical packages are obviously cribbed perks and some of them are just have the same effect.

I get that Halo needed to evolve. It did that on every entry, but the core of the gameplay always stayed and had always been teamwork, map control and the trinity of guns, grenades and melee. Most of that was lost in Halo 4. Map control is a thing of the past since ordinance spawns wherever the fuck at whenever the hell intervals. Guns are the only useful way to fight now, grenades don't do a thing in terms of damage and are useless besides sticking people and melees are useless outside of back smacks because everyone spawns with a goddamn shotgun.

The game just failed as a whole on the multiplayer end. It's still fun from time to time, but it's just a shell of what Halo used to be. It's just plainly obvious that the multiplayer didn't get as much attention that it needed.

I wrote more than I wanted to here and went off on a tangent but whatevs. Part of me is obviously really sad with how this game turned out and it's hard to not show it.