About being a completionist...

rpgretro

Hello! :) I'm striving to make my achievement list look 100% complete in terms of offline achievements. So I avoid games that's got MP in it, because most MP games have out-of-reach or just time consuming achievements that requires more than 2 players to do.

I don't bother doing online MP achievements unless it can be done with only 2 people. But I also know alot of nice games that's got MP in it and MP achievements, but single player being awesome. Let's say for example, Gears of War or Halo (which is ok).

But if I start on either, I won't ever get 1000/1000 (including MP dlc if there is any) which annoys me. But MP achievements shouldn't stop me from buying a game right.

So I'm thinking, does anybody else have this problem being a completionist? And would you be fine getting every offline achievement for Gears of War but ignoring the MP part. You won't get full GamerPoints but you'll still have every offline achievement.

Or would you simply ignore every game that's got MP achievements alltogether and only go for offline games?

I'd hate my achievement list look incomplete because of MP, but then again I could be just fine with getting every offline cheevo.

What's your thoughts on this? (This is not for people who don't mind MP, I just want opinions about people who're like me who dislikes MP cheevos. But feel free to comment anyway.) :)

I hate achievements for what they've done to people's attitudes towards gaming, including my own.

I was going to start then, seeing as how you have some pretty basic/easy 1k's in your completed list atm.

In short really, it is a shame that games have become driven by what we can show off and not so much the pure fun of it. You find yourself trying to get that prestiege higher in COD or adding another inch to your e-dick with every 1k on your list. Theirs very few game's i look back on now that i've 1k'd and can quite honestly say i enjoyed every moment of it. Oblivion/F3 would be one of them but even they required grinding and it takes the fun out of it.

Going to your original thoughts, Multiplayer is a pain and not having that 100% can drive some people insane. Just remember that sometime/someday you will come back to it. If you can just believe that, Then you can probly reach 100% in the long run.

Best of luck to your efforts mate.

If you're that concerned about you're completion percentage on this profile, you could create another profile and play the games you're not planning on 1king on that one.

I wouldn't just skip games with multi-player achievements all together though because you'll be missing out on a lot of great games.

That is a great suggestion.

Have your "real" account and then another one where you just play games and don't care about completion percentage. That way you can play the games for fun and not worry about the MP. It would suck to miss out on some great games just because of some MP achievements.

I'm kind of a completionist myself... I sat through two careers on Top Spin 2 after skipping two years of it, unaware my ranking points weren't the 1000 career points I needed :mad: Though there were times recently when I was like "I have 15 or so games I really wanted to play here... yet I'm playing this game that I've grown to hate, just because it has digital points that mean nothing?"

I'd never avoid a game I want because of a glitched achievement or difficult MP achievements, I'm not that bothered about them. I'll 100% a game IF i can, if I'm not able to (GR2 or GOW), then fine but I'll still enjoy it.

this is exactly the mentality of "completionists" that i don't understand. you want 100% completion but need to avoid fun or challenging games because some of the achievements are too difficult and time consuming. games aren't even worth completing if you don't feel a sense of accomplishment. and no one gives a fuck about 100% completion if all you've played is avatar and backyard football, for instance.

I agree with the post above - for achievements or 100% to be worthwhile in my opinion they do need to pose somewhat of a challenge (my copy of Hannah montana notwithstanding - I like Miley Cyrus ;)), else what have you "achieved" exactly? However, I do know the frustration of not being able to complete again because of stupid MP achievements. I'm a bit behind with my gaming so I have a lot of games now that all of you would have completed 2 years ago, so will have to rely on a buddy to help boost as the servers will be dead...that is when I can actually get an internet connection at home :(

Im a completionist, and go for 100% in all games. But I don't not buy a game because it has hard achievements, if I want it, I will get it, and still get 100% :) Online chieves arn't all that hard dude just got to work for them, play a bit.

I wasn't always about completing games, was more in it for the points. Lately though, I can't stand not being able to complete a game. I do tend to stay away from impossible games now though (chrome hounds, games with shutdown servers, etc). Though I haven't gone back to finish many games, as new ones keep piling up. I say play the games you want to play, and if you can complete them. If not, oh well, you got some points and enjoyed the game.

I would just play whatever games you like and play the MP too, but TBH I wouldn't start some mediocore ass game with MP, but the 4-star+ ones, hell yeah.

And on the bright side, by the time you play those MP games so much to get online achievements, you should be skilled enough to absolutly decimate other players.

Just play what you like and complete those games. I use to play games I had no interest in just because of achievements. I slowly started to hate gaming as a whole. I stopped and now I only play games I want too, while still completing them. Best way to go, really.

There's a difference between "completionist" and "achievement whore" a completionist usually will buy all types of games but just loves gaming so much they want to complete each game to its fullest doesn't mean they dont enjoy gaming, where as this chap is an "achievement whore" he just wants the games that he can 1000G if he can't 1000G the game he isnt interested in them.

We all gotta start somewhere. I have more than 4 games and out of those, there are a few tricky ones, like Dead Rising or Lost Odessey, I don't really know the definition of "Difficulty" as it depends on the player and what games he's good with.

And yes I know games are meant to be played to have fun, it's not all about gamerscore, but I do like them and I am very addicted to them. But that shouldn't stop me from buying a game that's got MP in it. I will simply get all the offline ones and forget about the MP because it doesn't interest me.

I don't mind a challenge in a game, just because a game proves to be hard doesn't turn me off, if it did I wouldn't have started on Dead Rising 1 or Lost Odyssey for example.

We all gotta start somewhere. I have more than 4 games and out of those, there are a few tricky ones, like Dead Rising or Lost Odessey, I don't really know the definition of "Difficulty" as it depends on the player and what games he's good with.

And yes I know games are meant to be played to have fun, it's not all about gamerscore, but I do like them and I am very addicted to them. But that shouldn't stop me from buying a game that's got MP in it. I will simply get all the offline ones and forget about the MP because it doesn't interest me.

I don't mind a challenge in a game, just because a game proves to be hard doesn't turn me off, if it did I wouldn't have started on Dead Rising 1 or Lost Odyssey for example.

A completionist is someone that completes every achievement on a game, not someone who picks and chooses which types of achievements they're going for.

You can paint it however you want, but you're not a completionist. More so an offline achievement hunter. Certainly not a completionist though.

I never said I pick and choose games I want every achievement for. And how can you say that I'm not a completionist? Would I spend 85-100 hours on Lost Odyssey working on getting every achievement if I weren't a completionist?

Would I even consider doing Dead Rising 7 day survivor run 14 hours straight if I weren't a completionist?

I don't care for online competetive multiplayer. It's boring to me, it gets old really fast and I'd rather play single player despite how shitty it may be in some games, than playing online.

I am on the fence on this topic. I originally started up my new Gamertag in aspriations of being a completionist. After or so I finished a couple of games, and then I thought to my self "I really would enjoy doing that achievement right there, so why should I drag my self through it without having fun? I bought the game to have fun not to drudge through Achievements." I find that Gaming is more fun when you are having fun playing what you want to play, not grinding through a game 14hrs straight because you want the 1000/1000 so your Completion Percentage will equal 100%. Granted if you want to do that its perfectly fine by me and in no means am I trying to bash any completionist. Gaming first, Achievements second imo. (Granted I love achievements)

I never said I pick and choose games I want every achievement for. And how can you say that I'm not a completionist? Would I spend 85-100 hours on Lost Odyssey working on getting every achievement if I weren't a completionist?

Would I even consider doing Dead Rising 7 day survivor run 14 hours straight if I weren't a completionist?

I don't care for online competetive multiplayer. It's boring to me, it gets old really fast and I'd rather play single player despite how shitty it may be in some games, than playing online.

Fair enough. From now on I'm going to only obtain achievements that end in the letter T. I'm a T completionist.

My point was your definition of completionist differs to the collective one. You may not avoid games that don't have multiplayer achievements, but to not obtain them means you're not a completionist.

However, that's MY opinion, so to you it shouldn't matter. That said you've made a topic on it, so it might.