Frequently Asked Questions

Webb

Thought I'd start a FAQ for this game. Ask the questions and we post the answers ;)

Q: I've won the league, when do I get the achievement?

A: June 30th - On the season end icon in your calendar.

Q: How long does it take to play a season?

A: Well I can get through a season in a few hours in all honesty, this is full simming of every game, no saving and no reloading, with the return on message feature turned off (LAPTOP, Right Analogue pressed in and Y). But if you want to win everything on the first season, you might have to save and load a bit, so could take you 5 hours or so.

Q: I'm going for the Scottish League and Cup achievements. Got any advice?

A: Well, either go for Rangers or Celtic here. I went for Celtic and can only offer advice for them. Point to add (thanks to dankenobi) Rangers and in the CEFA cup, so if you want to get that as well, play with Rangers.

Celtic Advice -

What I did...

Signed - Lusiao, Cahill, Kluivert Sold - Nakamura, Maloney

Things to note - Top scorer for me Zurawski (48 games, 34 goals)

Caldwell and Luisao make a good centre back partnership. As do Cahill and Petrov in midfield.

When buying and selling. Don't get too greedy when selling. I sold Nakamura for 4 million more than his value, good deal for me :) Maloney can also fetch a bit. Don't pay over the odds for your players. Bought Kluivert worth 4.5 million for 5.9, paid 5.5 for Cahill and 5.2 for Luisao. This players, or similar ones are good players that make your first team the best in the league by far :) Just use a 4-4-2 standard and you should be alright here.

Q: I'm going for the French League and Cup achievements. Got any advice?

A: Well there is only one team in France to go for. Thats Lyon, although PSG are fairly decent.

Lyon Advice:

What I did...

Signed: Albelda, Thuram, Zanetti, Kuranyi (Jan) Sold: Reveillere, Pedretti for alot of money!!!

Things to note: Weak defense and complicated strikers (explained below). Awesome squad.

When I first took charge over Lyon, I noticed the defense as a problem, and as I was going for achievements I got in the experience of Javier Zanetti and Lillian Thuram. After playing up until Jan infact, the lack of goals seemed a problem, although the team had the likes of Fred, Govou (must play up front), Carew and Wiltord. So I bought Kuranyi in January and his goals with Govou gave me that little push to the end of the season. I found the best midfield as Diarra left, Tiago and Albeda central and Juninho on the right. Ended up being close, last game of the season job, but won the league and cups in the end.

Q: I'm going for the Portuguese League and Cup achievements. Got any advice?

A: Well it's a toss up between Porto or Sporting Lisbon (CP ;)), with Benfica as outsiders. I chose Sporting simply because I believed they were a stronger team.

Sporting Advice:

What I did...

Signed: No-one until January. Then bought in Schweinsteiger, Sylvinho Sold: No-one.

Things to note: The team has a strong spine with Ricardo in goal, Polga in central defence, Moutinho in central midfield, with Liedson & Deivid up front. Also have Pinilla on loan who can be recalled

I never actually bought anyone before the season, simply because I skipped the pre-season and when it throws you in to the game, the deadline has passed. But either way, the squad for Sporting is decent. I played the default 4-4-1-1 in this season and this was really effective, so I kept it for the season. In January, however, I decided to strengthen the two weakest positions, right midfield and left defence. After the players came in, I suffered a slight drop in form until they settled but had good end to the season.

Q: I'm going for the Dutch League and Cup achievements. Got any advice?

A: Well, either go for PSV, Ajax or as an outsider but still possible, try Feyenoord. I personally went for PSV.

PSV Advice -

What I did...

Signed - Veron, Edgar Davis, at beginning Dirk Kuijt in Jan (thought it was Kuyt personally!!) Sold - No-one inparticular

Things to note - Fairly decent defense with Salcido, Ball, Ooijer, Alex and Reizeiger. Hesselink is a decent striker who bags a few goals in a season and Cocu is good for one year before he retires.

I bought aging stars Veron and Davids to strengthen my midfield pre season as this seemed to be the weakest area. I noticed come January that my team was good enough to keep the goals out, seeing as I had only conceeded 5 by then and had the best defence in the league. So I decided to buy a striker to help Hesselink out, and why not hurt the opposition at the same time, so In signed Kuijt who definitely helped take the strain. This IMO was a fairly easy league to win after January came ;)

Q: I'm going for the German League and Cup achievements. Got any advice?

A: Well, I personally think that there Bayern Munich are too strong to turn down for this league. Try Schalke, Dortmund for a challenge.

Bayern Munich Advice -

What I did...

Signed - Alonso. Then Cannavaro and Stankovic in Jan Sold - Hargreaves, Salihamizic for 12m each + in Jan

Things to note - By far the best squad in the league. Awesome front two of Makaay and Podolsji, with Pizarro and Santa Cruz in reserve. Decent midfield and defence, can lose a few and draft in awesome replacements with the cash and not be left short.

I personally thought that the squad was strong enough to win the league to start with. I would have been right if it wasn't for a lot of injuries, Alonso for 3 months didn't help!! But I was top come the Jan transfer window but decided to strengthen the weakest positions, central defence and the wing in midfield and this helped the cause. I also as a note to add lost in the Champions League group on purpose so that I could win the UEFA cup. Fairly easy league to be honest. Watch out for Schalke though, they put a 13 game win streak in the league to keep up the heat till the end. Play 4-4-1-1 with Podolski behind Makaay and you'll see the goals fly in.

Q: I'm going for the Italian League and Cup achievements. Got any advice?

A: Well, there are many factors here. Firstly AC Milan are -8 (although the strongest team in the league), Inter Milan are the second strongest, Roma are also an option. Remember, no Juventus in Serie A due to the match fixing fiasco. I personally went for Inter Milan.

Inter Milan Advice -

What I did...

Signed - No one to start with and then Cannavaro, Toure, Valeron, Cech and Gary Neville as a squad player Sold - Beginning for double their value Samuel, Gattuso. Jan for double their value Cambiasso, Burdisso,

Things to note - Average defence and goalkeeper. Strong midfield with Viera, Figo, Stankovic and Recoba. Good strikers with the might Adriano, Cruz and Martins.

I unfortunately missed the original transfer period so played with what I had till January. I personally dropped Cruz to the bench either though he is the best rated and played with Adriano up front and Recoba behind. Was very successful for me playing a 4-4-1-1 formation. In Jan I had loads of money so bought an awesome keeper and strengthened my defence and bought Valeron to improve my midfield. Fairly easy this one. Roma and AC are your only real rivals.

Q: I'm going for the Spanish League and Cup achievements. Got any advice?

A: Few decent options here, Barcelona and Madrid and the easiest. Deportivo and Valencia come a close second. But seeing as Barca are European champs and have the delight of Ronaldinho, I went with them.

Barcelona Advice -

What I did...

Signed - Cech to start with, 17m. Fabregas in Jan for 18m Sold - No-one

Things to note - European champs so strong squad. Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Thuram = worldclass. Weakness really is goalkeeper, decent, not worldclass though. Nearly everyone else decent.

As expected Barca are a good team. After I replaced the keeper with Cech, I was happy with the squad. Eto'o up front with Ronaldinho behind worked well for me, Saviola was out for 7 months so didn't have the luxury of him as back up. But it's fairly simple to beat all the lowly teams with the might of the big players you put out. Also as a side note won the European Cup with Barca as they are a fantastic team. Problem with this league is that Madrid win A LOT of games so your team must be on the top of their game and match them or even beat what they do. I found myself of a 15 match win streak but I had to as Madrid were on the same run.

Q: I'm going for the English League and Cup achievements. Got any advice?

A: Simple as, here people. Choose Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd, they have stupid amounts of money :p I personally am choosing Liverpool, but thats only because they are my team ;) Might take a few seasons with Liverpool to win the league, due the serious competition and bank balances of Chelski and Man Utd, but definitely possible. Just use the cash you start with and make through the season to buy the best players on the game. Defo recommend Fabregas as an awesome buy, Defoe also, Alonso too. All affordable and young and full of life.

Got a Q? Post it and the we'll try and answer :D

Thanks, i was going to do that with the champions league aswell before i checked the uefa cup groups on the internet and saw rangers were in it lol. Aslo ive just started my italian season and chose ac milan, just before my first game i checked the league table and realised that i start on -08 points because of the bloody match fixing scandal!!! So id suggest using inter.

Nice, I'll add this in to the FAQ when I get to Italy. Gonna add the Dutch one in like an hour.

Inter with Adriano as well *rubs hands*

This will all go towards a guide on the frontpage as well. So any more pointers and we'll be grateful ;) Don't worry, credit will be given ;)

EDIT: Also, aren't AC in the UEFA? So you could do it that way couldn't you?

Finished my italian season yesterday with ac milan, still won the league dispite the -08 points at start, i signed defoe for 10 million from spurs and he finished top scorer in the league. :woop:

Also Ac milan are still in the champions league but i got knocked out and into the uefa cup.

Started my spainish season today as madrid, signed joe cole and fabregas so far.

EDIT, just finished spanish season with the double!!, next up is german and im definatly gonna pick FC Bayern as they have some quality players in lucio, hargreeves, maakay and podolski.

In regards to the 'How long...' question.

I just save at crucial games after choosing a top team in each league. Save for games against opposition near the top of the league, and for the cup games you need achievements for.

I also buy quality old-ish players for my squad as I'm only thinking short-term (a season at most), and sell alot of my squad to get the cash in to afford them.