The Legend of the Star Achievement in Fallout: New Vegas

• The Legend of the Star

Complete The Legend of the Star.

• How to unlock The Legend of the Star

This achievement is a little misleading. You can gain The Legend of the Star quest when you head into the Sunset Sarsparilla Headquarters. Inside, you'll find Fetus. Fetus is a robot-greeter, who gives the player information on Sunset Sarsparilla, and the rare, Star Bottle Caps. When you find 50 of these bottle caps, you can return and claim your prize. After you've done so, the mission will fail. However, afterward, another mission will pop up, where you claim your prize. Head to its location inside the Headquarters, and the achievement will unlock.

Check here for locations of all Star Bottle Caps.

Recently unlocked by

Comments
  • Anyone know where you get this one?
  • you have to talk to the machine in sunset sarsaparilla HQ
  • Is this achievement revolved around luck? As I understand it, you have to drink sunset sarsaparilla until you have collected a certain number of star bottle caps. I have drunken around 250 or so and only have 36 star caps to show for it. Do I need to increase my luck?
  • http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Sunset_Sarsaparilla_star_bottle_cap#Locations helped me alot
  • i talk to the machine at sunset sarsaparilla HQ and it failed... apparently once you hit 50 star caps an assassin tries to kill you for you to complete this quest but no assassin comes for me...
  • There is an easier way to get the caps without searching them in the desert Locations. Collect alot of the sarsaparilla bottles to a chest in your appartment. Save the game. Drink up to 5 or 10 of the bottles, if you dont get a sarsa bottle cap--- Load the game, allso save the game everytime you get a cap. i got 20 caps out of 70 bottles or doing this. Allso there is an npc that has on necklace in Niption Road pit stop that talks to you and you can get the necklace from him or her, depends on your characters genre. This gives you from 5 to 7 sarsa bottle caps. And killing the guy who tells you about the bottle cap challenge when you get the 1st one allso has 6 of them either pick pocket him or kill him to get them. Relatively easy achievement.
  • @4 wiki is always great. However it would have been nice if you just posted the amount you needed lol. Btw for anyone wondering it's 50. You can read more about it under the "Prize" section of the article, talks about Festus, and other quests it activates. Good info
  • i got 15 so far and i drank a total of 40 bottles how do i start this quest somethimes during the story some random people come to me and sey they have star caps amnd they have some assassin coming for them
  • Right, when you get the right ammount of star caps (50, http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Sunset_Sarsaparilla_star_bottle_cap#Locations) feed them into Festus and after a long story finishes you fail the quest (This is supposed to happen). Protest against this and he will agree to give a proper prize. go upstairs and find a room with a collapsed floor, drop down and follow the linear path to a double door. Go in and claim your prizes, crates in the far end contain caps (100+ without the Fortune Finder perk) and Allen Marks' body in the other far corner, the Pew Pew lazer pistol and a Holotape. Pick that up and the Achievement should pop.
  • Everyone who thinks you have to actually drink Sarsparilla may have a tough time with this. There are 100 caps throughout the wasteland just laying there for you to pick up. Just pay attention and 50 isn't hard to get at all.
  • You'll get plenty that are lying around the waste's without going out of your way too. The various vault's are always good, they're involved in quests so just keep a sharp eye, they're usualy on a table (etc) next to at least one empty bottle of Sunset Sasparilla. There are a total of 5 in REPCONN HQ along with plenty of other nice loot along with plenty of XP to be had in the form of locked doors and terminals. A word of warning however, the place is swarming with potentialy hostile robots, the easiest way around them is to hack a terminal on each floor and upload your face into the allowed personel database.
  • This Achievement takes maybe 1 1/2 - 2 hours once you've hit roughly level 15. You get 9 from the Guy/Girl combo outside Nipton, 5 at repcon, 2 at Nillis AFB Hanger, 3 at Camp Golf.. etc.. Wikilinks has alot of locations, a lot of people are saying drink the bottles but with 10 luck I was getting 1-2 star caps per 10 bottles drank.. Its faster just to Quick Travel around and collect the caps.
  • I knew that building wasn't so useless as it seemed..
  • I did this one by just trekking along as usual and gathering the caps. If you see a pile of caps on a desk or randomly, you'll usually find some for this achievement. There's also a few times where you'll spar with someone who collects them. They'll usually drop 5-7 of the Blue Star caps. It'll be difficult to do this by only drinking the Sunset Sarsaparilla as I believe only 5% drop the Blue Star caps. ***Spoiler Alert*** Once you return to Festus, the prize is the story of the drink. After the story, it'll show that you "failed" the quest. Thankfully, it leads onto this achievement by there being an alternative prize. The prize vault is found by heading upstairs and looking for a room with a safe. There will be a hole in the floor. Hop down and head straight in front of you. You'll f
  • Do u have to give them in all in at one time, or can it be on separate occasions /?
  • they can be seperate ocations, and yesterday i was playing and some random guy cam to me giving me 6 or 7 of them and sed he was with sum girl and all the sudden she tried killing him for them. so i think theyre are a lot of easy ways to get them. but u need ur speech high enougg for them to give u the caps
  • I have found 28 star caps and im rank 9. looks good for me :)
  • wtf I gave festus 50 caps and it said quest failed....?
  • i then ventured inside the factory past a double door and saw a dead body of Allen Marks I picked up the holotape beside of him and got the acheivement
  • I haven't gotten the chieve yet, but i have a bunch of the caps.. I've just been waiting until I have like 5 bottles, and then saving. Then I'll drink a few of them, and if I don't get a star cap, I'll load the game I just saved.. I've been turning 5 bottles into 2 star caps.. I tried it with only one bottle to see if I could turn every bottle into a star cap, but it didn't work. i reloaded the save about 30 times, but it was a regular cap every time. I guess it might work, but I'm not patient enough to find out. If you are, that's on you.
  • If you fast travel into Scorpion Gulch you will find a wastelander either dead already or about to get attacked by Bark Scorpions. If he is alive pull back as soon as you travel in and watch the Scorpions kill him, now kill them and search the body for a 'Sunset Sarsaparilla Star Bottle Cap'. Fast Travel to Novac and wait 3 days, now fast travel back to the Scorpion Gulch and repeat. This guy always has a star cap on him alive or dead. Repeat till you gain the 50 caps needed for 'The Legend of the star' side quest. Original page: http://www.cheatsguru.com/xbox360/fallout_new_vegas/hints/2166106.htm Original page: http://www.cheatsguru.com/xbox360/fallout_new_vegas/hints/2166106.htm
  • Nice Hovihar! I'm definitely going to try that!
  • I just played the game and by the time I got to the end,I had 36, now i just have to find 14 more. This should be easy, just to fast travel the rest.
  • Anyone else notice that the guide calls him "Fetus?" XD
  • i am still trying to get this because i havent played fallout in a while although honest hearts will get me back into it.
  • @24 I was going to say the same thing.
  • Just finished this quest. Like the Nuka Cola challenge this was not my favorite quest in the game. Use the wiki's or if you can get the holotape to unlock the achievement then all the better. I'm just glad it's done.
  • the wastland explore perk helps almost all the places i found had at least one star cap somewere
  • soooo long
  • As you play through keep an eye out for stray caps, and every once and a while raise your luck (mine's just at 7 so it's not that bad) collect all the sunset sarsparilla you can, every single bottle. by the time i was lvl 20 i had about 175 of them... you can find 70+ at the sunset sarsparilla HQ alone. drink them all, if you're lucky enough you can get all 50 from this. personally i got around 30, killed a guy for a necklace and collected the odd cap. was at 40 pretty easily. then i did the Scorpion Gulch glitch for the last few. not a difficult achv.
  • Ive done this twice.. failed it twice and the mission thats meant to come up afterwards hasent.. twice -__- fml
  • if you have 10 luck, you have a 10/100 chance of getting a star cap when drinking a sarsaparilla bottle, every point of luck raises your chance of getting one by a single point
  • I Just Pooped My Pant's & I Got It
  • In case you didn't know and need help: FESTUS is located just to your left once you enter the Sarsaparilla Headquarters. He looks like a cowboy puppet from the fortune-telling machine in the movie "BIG" with Tom Hanks. I thought Festus was one of the "Lost In Space" looking robots. I spent an extra hour looking for him. If I had a hard time finding him, maybe this post will help someone else. Good luck.
  • @34 I bet no one in here has seen that movie. It is a great movie. Anyways, that helps a lot. I have like 65 of those caps, but never started the quest because I never found that robot. Haha.
  • I've only got eight more achievements to get for this game I've completed the game on hardcore but cant be bothered to get this one hate finding things.
  • Last Achieve I Got...I Wanted It To Be Hardcore :B
  • For some reason I am finding this to be the hardest achievement in this gam
  • *game
  • @31 you do realize that a quest doesnt start after you fail, you just have to protest and then find your way to the prize room to pick up the holotape. YOUR DOING IT WRONG!
  • Just finished Caravan cheeb and Kicked off the Strip cheeb. Gonna work on this one next.
  • If you pickpocket the g who tells you about the quest he should have 6 caps on himuy.
  • Having higher luck helps a lot.
  • The reward is not worth all the trouble for this quest..
  • I agree, Its a poor reward for a ton of effort. What makes me pissed is that I have collected a ton of the caps and yet I still only have 9, I am 100% sure I had way more then that.
  • :( I always have about 40 and everytime I hit there with my character I don't find anymore this is so annoying someone please give ideas.
  • Like Comment #21 said --- If you fast travel into Scorpion Gulch you will find a wastelander either dead already or about to get attacked by Bark Scorpions. If he is alive pull back as soon as you travel in and watch the Scorpions kill him, now kill them and search the body for a 'Sunset Sarsaparilla Star Bottle Cap'. Fast Travel to Novac and wait 3 days, now fast travel back to the Scorpion Gulch and repeat. This guy always has a star cap on him alive or dead. Repeat till you gain the 50 caps needed for 'The Legend of the star' side quest.
  • Like Comment #21 said --- If you fast travel into Scorpion Gulch you will find a wastelander either dead already or about to get attacked by Bark Scorpions. If he is alive pull back as soon as you travel in and watch the Scorpions kill him, now kill them and search the body for a 'Sunset Sarsaparilla Star Bottle Cap'. Fast Travel to Novac and wait 3 days, now fast travel back to the Scorpion Gulch and repeat. This guy always has a star cap on him alive or dead. Repeat till you gain the 50 caps needed for 'The Legend of the star' side quest.
  • This can be done easier and overnight. Have a controller with either autofire or turbo button. Go to Festus, you can play Horsehoves infinitely. 5% chance he will drop a Star Cap. Do this overnight, by the time you wake you're close to having 50 star caps :) (And if you only have a controller with turbo button -like the Madcatz SF IV fightpad- , have something finger shaped like an eraser and a piece of duct tape ready as well to keep pressing A :) )
  • drink lots of sarsaparillas
  • THANK YOU #34
  • I wonder if the LUCK skill helps you while drinking Sarsparilla.
  • wiki helps tremendously

Game navigation